1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Migrate to New Server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ITinfant, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ITinfant

ITinfant Thread Starter

Hello,

I need help! Need to move my company to our new server. Moving from a Windows Server 2008 to a new Windows Server 2008. Our servers are hosted and they don't support migrating data so I'm really in a tough spot. I have never done this before and thought it was a simple copy/paste job. I need to move applications like Quickbooks, MS Office, and the backbone of our company - Multichannel Order Manager (M.O.M.) which uses SQL.

Once the new server is setup I will then need to move all the users (20), some that work remote, to the new server. I don't have an IT background so at this point even the simplest things need thorough explanation.

I started yesterday by copying and pasting to new server one file at a time from the C: Drive. This doesn't seem very efficient as it takes an hour to copy a folder thats over 50 mb. Our source server has 272 gigs of data & apps.

Is there any way to move everything from one server to the next that won't take a lifetime? Googling this is only more confusing as there is so much info out there and I'm not sure what applies to me. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

272 Gigs is a lot of data regardless of the type of business you operate (small or large). How did all that data get pushed up to those servers and was there a backup plan in place to protect all this data?

Without knowing more about the hosting service and the amount of bandwidth provisioned for your servers, it's hard to formulate any suggestion.

Also, don't take this the wrong way but doing something like this shouldn't be done by anyone who doesn't know what they're doing. You really need to express upon your management that a consulting company should be engaged to help you all out in this endeavor. At a minimum, you want to engage some of the data backup/recovery software companies out there to see if they can provide any guidance on this. Some companies you can engage are Symmantec (Backup Exec), Commvault, and Dell (Quest/AppAssure). A lot of these products specialize in doing things like compression and data deduplication to minimize the amount of raw physical data you need to push over the wire.

3. ITinfant

ITinfant Thread Starter

Thanks for responding zx10guy.

Our servers are hosted by Rackspace. Full backups are done weekly with limited daily backups. This is our current setup:

Dell Memory: 8GB Dell RAM, GB Memory:8
    Dell Servers: Dell PowerEdge 2950 - WINK2K8 Server Standard (x64)
    Dell Servers:
    Dual Socket Quad Core Intel Xeon 5320 LV 1.86GHz (Oracle #820-0019), #Processors: 2, #Cores per Proc: 4
    Hard Drive (4) 146 GB SAS 10K RPM Drive, HDD RPM: 10000, GB Hard Drive: 146
    Included Bandwidth: Included Bandwidth, GB Bandwidth: 2000
    MS Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition
    Raid 10 Cnfiguration.
    And here is our new setup:
    Dell Memory: 16 GB Dell RAM, GB Memory: 16
    Dell Servers:
    Dual Socket Quad Core AMD Opteron 2374HE 2.2 GHz, #Processors: 2, #Cores per Proc: 4

Dell Servers:
    DELL PowerEdge 2970 - WIN2K8 R2 Standard Edition (x64)

Hard Drive (6):
    300GB SAS 15K RPM Drive, HDD RPM: 15000, GB Hard Drive: 300

Hard Drive Size: 3.5in. Hard Drives

Included Bandwidth:
    Included Bandwidth, GB Bandwidth: 2000

Do you really feel someone else should handle this? Is this something a regular person can't do with some research and a checklist and some help from techguy.org? My ego says I can do it but I'm smart enough to take the advice of someone who knows better than I. How much more involved is this that I'm not seeing? I have a cheap boss and he will not be happy with me if I can't get this done, especially since this will be costing a lot of money if we don't decommission the old server by end of the week.

4. zx10guy

No offense to your boss, but if he's the one that created the transition schedule, he has no one to blame but himself. Doing a migration like this with as much data as we're talking about here isn't just something that is done in a day or week.

So you mentioned backups are done. Who's doing the backups? What are the actual backups? Are they being done via tape? If so, who has possession of these tapes? You're best bet is to try to get a hold of those backup tapes and do a data restore from them to your new servers. This is providing the integrity of the data on those tapes are still ok. Many times people assume just because they do a tape backup that the data can be recovered. As part of any good backup plan is to do periodic restores from the tape to verify data integrity. I've personally been involved in a situation where data was lost due to invalid tape backups.

5. ITinfant

ITinfant Thread Starter

None taken, by me. My boss is owner of the company. A get it done at no extra expense to me kind of guy. And IT is the last place he wants to put his money. That's why I'm supposed to get this done and not someone with actual experience.

I'm checking with our server hosts to see if we can use the backups they do to restore to new server. We've never done a restore with their backups so I guess I will find out if they are useful. But I will start doing restores on the backups that I do from now on to test their integrity. Appreciate that nugget of information. Never thought twice about that.

6. rikai

rikai

First Name:
    Matt
    With that amount of data, a backup/restore is your only feasable option.

Is there any particular reason your company has decided to switch servers?

(In my opionion, your boss gets what he pays for. If he isn't willing to pay a little extra for ease of use, he's going to be in tough spots like this one on more than one occasion.)

7. ITinfant

ITinfant Thread Starter

Hi Rikai,

We ran out of space on our current server so we upgraded for more memory & space.

And I feel the same way, you get what you pay for. Personally, I like to get things done and this is a great way to learn something new, but at the end of the day if I can't get this done I won't feel too bad. I still can't dedicate full work days to it because everything is "priority". This won't be a real priority till he sees the bill for the old and new server and wonders why he is paying for both. Then he will be angry. With me! Haha. But personally I want to do this. Putting pressure on myself to get it done. I just don't know where to start.

So how do I backup an entire server?

8. ITinfant

ITinfant Thread Starter

Turns out the backups done by Rackspace (our server hosts) can't be used for restoration purposes. They don't support any type of migration in the event something goes wrong.

9. zx10guy

The limitations you're running into is precisely why some companies have opted to get out of managed services. The promise of someone else doing all of your IT management down to maintaining your servers is nice on paper. But you really have to dig into the details. And as you have discovered, there are some pretty strict limitations.

I tried scouring the Internet to see how others have done migrations. From what I gathered, the process took months. I also looked at the Rackspace website to see how their services are set up. It appears they have you on a dedicated ASA 5505 firewall. These firewalls have a max throughput of 100 Mbps in ideal conditions. You can expect actual throughput probably a bit less depending on the situation. So if you calculate how long it is going to take in relation to the amount of data you have to migrate along with the speed throughput of your hosted environment, you have a long road ahead.

I would see if you can talk to someone at Rackspace about whether they can assist in your migration. Many times companies don't want to do this for obvious reasons as they are losing a customer. But sometimes, a company will see the bigger picture where their assistance in something like this fosters goodwill. And maybe will attract back former customers at a later date. But if they do provide assistance, expect to pay for it.

As I said, you probably need to contact those data backup/recovery/replication companies I listed and pull them in for help. The sooner you start this process, the sooner you'll get it done.

10. Simba7

Simba7

Is the old Windows 2008 server in a VM? You could just dump the entire VM file to an external drive and move it that way.

..that's if they'd let you.

11. zx10guy

I'd be highly surprised if Rackspace allowed anyone outside of the company (ie paying customers) to enter their data centers. They own the equipment and just lease them out to customers. This is exactly the reason why some companies have decided to go back to the old model of buying their own equipment but leasing out colocation space.

12. Simba7

Simba7

That's one reason I thought it was idiotic for an enterprise to move their entire infrastructure to the cloud. You're relying on another company to handle your data, especially classified data? Are you INSANE?

13. rikai

rikai

First Name:
    Matt
    ITinfant: your best bet is to simply backup each file as you are doing, or use the OS' built in backup process

14. ITinfant

ITinfant Thread Starter

Thanks for the all the input time taken to help me with this. Really appreciate that.

Zx10guy, We are actually staying with Rackspace, just moving from one box to another. The reason they give for not moving our data for us is they don't want to be responsible for any lost data or if something goes wrong during migration. They are only responsible for their physical servers.

15. ITinfant

ITinfant Thread Starter

So I take it unless I have physical access to the server, plugging in an external hard drive and moving folders to that, then moving them to new server won't work? Planned to purchase a an external drive today.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice