1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to move a Linksys wireless card from one laptop into a new one?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NJMom130, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NJMom130

NJMom130 Thread Starter

Hi

I have a Linksys wireless card with a Linksys router that I would like to remove from my current laptop and use it in my new one. What do I need to do to either the new laptop and/or the router?

I assume I can't just remove it from the Dell Latitude CPILaptop and place it into my Dell Latitude CPX laptop.

Thanks for your help.

Nancy

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Download the drivers from the Linksys' website and put them on a disk. Remove the card from your laptop and put it in the other laptop. When it asks for the drivers tell it where to find them.

3. NJMom130

NJMom130 Thread Starter

Once I download the drivers do I have to adjust anything either on the computer that the router is hooked up to or to the laptop where the card will now be?

4. Squashman

If you are using Wireless encryption on the Wireless router you will need to setup the Wireless network card for the encryption you are using. If you are just using open Wireless, it should detect it and automatically connect to the wireless network.

5. NJMom130

NJMom130 Thread Starter

How do I find out if I am using Encryption on my router?

Thanks

6. Squashman

If you don't know what it is, you most likely are not using it. If you moved the wireless network card to the new laptop and it connects to the network without any configuration, you are not using encryption. If you want to enable it or see if it is enabled, logon to your routers web based configuration page. You can read your routers user manaul. It will give you all the information you need.

7. DBClark

DBClark

It seems obvious that you did not install and setup the router. On the laptop that you have been using, right click the network icon near the clock if there is one and chose status. If there is a picture of a lock in the diagram, then security in enabled.

Or you can take a chance that there is none and the move should work for you!

Your best bet would be to find out from whoever installed and/or configured the router in the first place.

8. NJMom130

NJMom130 Thread Starter

I am getting onto the internet but in the past I had a blue box down by the clock with two lights that would be left. I don't know if you are familiar with the Linksys card and router. When the laptop powers up the blue box comes up then disappears. What I do have is a picture of a small monitor with waves moving out from it and it states that wireless network connection 2 (Linksys) is connected.

I had set up the router but it's been so long I don't remember what I did. I'm assuming I'm getting a network connection from somewhere else not from my router.

Any suggestions or should I just leave it as it is?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437555

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice