1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How To Move Files From One CPU To Another

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by JohnC543, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnC543

JohnC543 Thread Starter

I have an eight year old IBM Aptiva running Win 95. A friend gave me a Gateway GP7-500 running Win 2000. How can I (if I can) move files and programs from the old to the "newer" computer.

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Programs you cannot move, they need to be re-installed - W2K is much differnt than 95

AS to data, take the physical disk out of the old sys and unplug the CD in the new sys. Install the HD with the CD's cables and then it is a local drive on no issues with softweare or master slave.

3. JohnC543

JohnC543 Thread Starter

Hi MFDnSC
    Thanks for your reply. My tech knowledge is very limited, so you sort of lost me. If you would explain your reply a little I would appreciate it. Thank you.

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Open the case in the old PC - Remove the HD - Open the case in the new PC

Remove the connectors to the CD drive - Take the wide connector and put it to the HD from the old PC - Take the narrow 4 pin conncetor and add to the HD.

Boot the PC and now the Old HD is the D Drive.

Make sure you have removed power to both PC's prior to this process

The old HD will show in Windows Explorer as another drive so you can copy and paste.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!