1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to move files & programs from drive c to added on new volume hard disk d?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PETIMAGER, Apr 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PETIMAGER

PETIMAGER Thread Starter

I had only 1 hard drive c with only 12 % free space . I had a new hard disk added on hard drive d. I used the following software programs clean disk which did clean temporary files etc., search & destroy to get rid of spyware & diskeeper lite to defrag hard disk. i also removed unwanted programs from add/remove programs. The most free space I could get for free space is 14 %. I have windows xp pro os .I don't have the cds because when i had the pc built all the software was installed but the vendor never gave me the cds for any of the hardware. I would like to increase the free space on hard drive c by moving what ever files or programs i can to new added on volume d. What ever programs files etc I can "automatically " move to hard drive D if possible.Any other advice about this problem is appreciated. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Also, does any one know that offers A + certification courses "online" with hands on experience? The reason i ask about hands on experince becuase i beleive that is the best way to learn about just about any topic. Being a radiological yechnologist & nuclear medicne technologisy i think it' very important to correlate what one learns fron class to apply that to hands on experince. I am presently unable to work because of a lumbar spine injury & am very interested in learning about building computers & trouble shooting problems (A + certification) with hands on experience. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank You

2. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

You can just drag and drop data files from C: to D:, but any programs you want to move will have to be uninstalled from C: and reinstalled on D:

3. user208

user208

another option if the new drive is bigger than the first you can use a program such as Norton Ghost to copy your old drive to the new drive. You can also use the software that came with the drive or you can download it from the HDD manufacturer and do the same thing. Than set the new faster drive as the primary and your old drive which can be reformated later and set as a 2nd drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/128899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice