1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to move MyDocuments and Open it from another Partition?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Fidmeister, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fidmeister

Fidmeister Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

I've recently bought a new Sony Vaio laptop and one thing they have done (mainly for recovery purposes) is to split the hard drive into 2 partitions, 1 for apps and 2 for multimedia, files etc.

I was wondering, at the moment I think My Documents is on the first (app) partition, so anything I put into My Documents is obviously going to go onto the first partition, and not the second.

Is there any way to move, redirect etc the my documents folder etc to the second partition, so when I opened My Documents then add files, it will add them to the SECOND partition, not the first.

Really, I can't see why you would need 10 gigs for multimedia LOL

2. xSoilworkeRx

xSoilworkeRx

Whichever partition the My Documents folder is on, that's where it is going to go. As of now, I do not believe there is any way to move it to the other partition other than burning the whole file on a CD and then going to partition 2 and extracting the folder from the CD to the 2nd partition.

3. Fidmeister

Hmmm, is there then a way to like, turn the two partitions into one, without having to format the drive (which someone has said to me)?

4. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

The only way I could think of was just suggested, burn a CD copy.

5. angel

angel

Right-click on your My Documents folder and select Properties. Under Target Folder Location, there is a Move... button that will allow you to put it whereever you like.

6. Fidmeister

Yay!

It worked :D Thanks angel! :)

7. mellow.cello

mellow.cello

This is a great tip ... many thanks ... so good that I registered purely to say so ... :D

Here's hoping it also works on Win 2K as I've just partitioned my friend's HD during reinstall and I hope I don't have to combine it back into one partition!

This is the thing about Windows ... I mean it has some good features - like this one - but then they completely fail to put it in the help or anywhere. I must have spend 2 hours searching the built-in Win XP help and the M$ site, found loads of stuff on group policy (which doesn't help in the case of a single machine as Local Policy doesn't include the folder redirection extension ... as I found out eventually ...) - but this is so simple and no mention of it ...

As I said, here;s hoping it's also there for Win 2K ... :rolleyes:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!