1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How To? New email IP address for outgoing mail

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RolloGC, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RolloGC

RolloGC Thread Starter

Hi,
    First timer here. We just got a new email server and I now can retrieve my email but can't send it. They gave me an IP address but I don't know where to input it. I tried changing my LAN IP address, but it won't let me connect after I change it. Is there a seperate place for an IP for outgoing mail?

Using Outlook on XP Pro.

Thanks for any help...

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

They shouldn't be giving you and ip address. They should be giving your dns name for the mail server.

Something like.
    smtp.domain.com

3. RolloGC

RolloGC Thread Starter

Nope, just got this 8 digit IP address. And I still don't know where to put it.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

On your Email Account Settings you should see an option that says "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)" But I would call them back and ask them why you don't have a DNS name to use.

5. RolloGC

RolloGC Thread Starter

Yeah, I guess I will just go talk with them about it. Thanks for your help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755770

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice