1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to open a pdf in adobe, not in IE

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by mauipono, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mauipono

mauipono Thread Starter

Presently, I have a link on a webpage which opens a pdf document in IE. Some of the elements on the page do not show up correctly. If I right-click on the link, save the target, then open the target in Adobe Reader, all is perfect. How do I code the link so that when someone clicks on it, it either opens in adobe reader or it gives them an option to save or open? Thanks!

2. Headrush

Headrush

I do not think you can specify this on the server side.
    This is determine by settings on the client side. Your best bet would be to zip the file and have them download that.

If your Acrobat Reader is up to date, the resulting image using the plugin or the standalone application should be the same. Maybe you should try removing the old reader plugin and reinstalling Acrobat Reader.

Can you provide the link to the site. On my system, it is set to let me choose download or view inline and I can check to see if I have the same problem.

3. mauipono

mauipono Thread Starter

Thank you, Headrush. I zipped the file and it works perfectly from several different computers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice