How to open CD/DVD tray when unable to boot to Windows

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rfinnshw

¿How to open CD/DVD tray when unable to boot to Windows with a BSD screen?

The newer CD/DVD trays don't seem to have a small hole where a tray can be opened with a paper clip.

The need to open CD/DVD tray would be for an occasion where you need to load a Windows Repair/Recovery disk when unable to Boot to Windows 10 and keep getting a BSD screen.

I realize the work-around would be to use a Thumb Drive...but was just curious as to how to open the CD/DVD tray that does not have a small hole to insert a paper clip to eject the tray, and unable to boot to Windows 10 to eject the tray via the software option.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20191211214611.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 720, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 907 GB (731 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0KWVT8, ver A03, s/n CN7220046701FP.
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 20100118, s/n 2MX3122
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi Rfinnshw, and welcome to TSG.

Does your optical drive have a typical disc ejection button that should work if the drive has power? Some desktop PC makers add a door to the case in front of the drive that flips open when the tray is out. If that is your case, you should look behind the door for the release mechanism on the actual drive.

If that does not apply, please let us know the brand and exact model of the drive.

Rfinnshw

cwwozniak, Thx for your great help and suggestions and I will follow try your listed items to check out.(y)

RT

I had removed my post because you mentioned
The newer CD/DVD trays don't seem to have a small hole where a tray can be opened with a paper clip.
In my post I assumed there was was an access hole.
But I see you've marked this as Solved, so glad you found a way :)

Rfinnshw

I had removed my post because you mentioned
In my post I assumed there was was an access hole.
But I see you've marked this as Solved, so glad you found a way :)
RT, Thanks so much for your concern....and willingness to help out. I greatly appreciated hearing from you.(y)

Reactions: RT

plodr

Liz
My SFF desktop PC has a side loading CD/DVD player behind a door. It also has no pinhole nor eject button. (Silly omission, in my opinion) I've worried a few times about what I would have to do if Windows doesn't load. There is no problem if Windows loads because I have a small program on the desktop that will extend and retract the tray.

I've decided if Windows doesn't load and there is a problem with the tray, I'll have to take the side off the tower and deal with the CD/DVD drive that way. Fortunately, I do an a Y-power connecting cable and an external CD/DVD burner which I'll use instead of replacing the internal drive.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
My SFF desktop PC has a side loading CD/DVD player behind a door. It also has no pinhole nor eject button.
Check if the drive has any kind of small metal plate near the front that looks pushable. I came across a desktop PC a few years ago that had a hinged door in the case and no pinhole. Taking off the case cover holding the door exposed an optical drive that did not have its own front panel. It did have a metal plate that aligned behind where the pinhole would have been if there was a front panel.

plodr

Liz
Check if the drive has any kind of small metal plate near the front that looks pushable.
Nothing metal at all, The door and hinges are white plastic and the drive is black plastic.

It is a cheap eMachine Walmart special from 2009.optical drive door.jpgoptical drive open.jpg
The door is where the labels are. Closed and held open by my husband. (It might be hard to see but everything inside is black plastic.)

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I am betting that if you were to remove the whole white front of the computer you might see the black front panel of the optical drive itself and it would have an open/close button and a manual ejection hole.

OpticalDriveVertical.jpg

plodr

Liz
Probably. My husband has a Dell Optiplex and the drive on that has the pinhole almost covered. Thankfully I can get a paperclip in and force the drive open. I wish they'd have done the same on the eMachine.
The eMachine is getting old (purchased in 2009) and I haven't had to do much to it. If the drive fails, I won't replace it, I'll use my external burner.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online