how to open .dat file extension

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Oldwest

Cannot open win.dat file extension. New to Windows 7, using Thunderbird email. Can anyone help?

DoubleHelix

Banned
In my experience, a DAT file attached to an e-mail rarely contains anything. It contains meta/header/message data. If you're actually expecting an attachment, ask the sender what they're trying to send and how they're sending it.

Oldwest

I have received three forwarded text messages from one friend, all are winmail.dat. He doesn't know the origin but he could open all of them.
Thanks for your interest.
Oldwest

TerryNet

Terry
Did you try opening one with Notepad as that article suggests?

calvin-c

Banned
Personally I'd have trouble trusting an attachment if the sender doesn't know where it came from-unless I really trusted the sender to have thoroughly checked out the attachment to ensure it's harmless.

OTOH if the sender was able to open it then the attachment is, more than likely, really a winmail.dat file & is therefore harmless. An article specifically addressing winmail.dat attachments is at http://www.pchell.com/support/winmaildat.shtml

According to that the attachment contains formatting, text styles, etc. for use by Outlook. IOW, nothing meaningful for T-Bird.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online