How to open up a (WinBook) laptop case

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gregor1234

I've salvaged several WinBook laptops from the trash pile at work. I have enough working bits to make one or two good ones from the pieces. There are the usual things that users are meant to access like the HDD, DVD/CD, modem, memory etc but swapping the floppy and certain other guts require opening the main case.

How do you get inside the case of one of these laptops besides using a hammer or a saw?

Ive unscrewed all the screws and gently pried around the edges until I've become convinced that there must be a massive glob of glue holding the whole thing together in the middle.

Can anyone give me a clue or direct me to websites or forums where such things are described or discussed?

ekim68

Mike
Well, normally, after you unscrew all the screws, there should be a flex in the plastic.

And, then, it might open.

But, what is the brand of computer? You can probably find all of the info you need on
their site...

Gregor1234

These are various older model of WinBooks and Twinheads (which is just a different brand of WinBook).

The WinBook website basically says: Dont even try to open the case.

I was hopng someone out there might actually take these things apart for a living and so might have some valuable clues.

I'd like to re-open this thread because I now also have acquired a WinBook with a broken power jack. (There's no SN on the label, and the model says 8080, which, AFAICT, is not a standard model number. It's an XP Professional 1-2 CPU machine, but I'm not sure what to make of the other labels.) There must be some secret incantation M$ Support Initiates are taught to get the thing open for repairs... Usually laptops have some hidden screws, but I'm not sure how to claw this one apart. Anyone have any ideas?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online