how to paint a computer case...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

blackecho

i want to paint my computer green but i have no idea what kind of paint to use. it's an off-white metal case. do i need to use spray paint or hand paint? what can i do to make the surface smooth and soft? thanks!

I'd use a satin finish, spray paint. Very light sanding should give you a smooth surface.

Good luck.

No, finger paints won't work well on a computer case. Get some good quallity acrylic or enamel spray paint in the desired finish. Prep the case by sanding with some light grit sandpaper or steel wool. Clean everything thouroughly with alocohol ot other solvent that will not leave a residue, mask everything off you don't want painted and go to town.

You'll need to first sand the case down with rough sand paper, and gradually keep sanding it down with finer grads of sand paper until it is smooth. Each time you switch to a finer grade, go over the case with some tack cloth. When it is completely smooth, paint it with some sandable primer. Give it around 3 coats BUT make sure that they are light coats and completely dry before you apply the next coat. Then go over the case with the light sand paper and tack cloth again, and start applying the paint. Sand in between each coat and go over it with the tack cloth each time. Don't rush it. It might take two or three days, but it will be worth it in the end ;)

Also, make sure the humidity is low when you are painting it...

It might be a good idea to take the components out of the case before hand.

I had a friend who painted his computer case (spray paint) and some of the paint got onto the components and destroyed them.

blackecho

that's really sad... but yeah, i figured that i might need to just paint the case. however, i'd like to paint the cd and floppy drive's covers. any way to do that?

Yeah but you're opening up a whole can of worms if you do. You'd have to paint the buttons also and it would wear off...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online