1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to partition a harddrive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Freakchris03, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Freakchris03

Freakchris03 Thread Starter

Yeah i wanted to know how to partition my hard drive so i can put my music and games on one drive and other crap on another..

2. Tranquility

Tranquility

You can partition your hard drive when you are installing Windows. If you want to partition your hard drive after you have installed Windows your best bet is a commercial program like Partition Magic.

3. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

o dear jesus people please stop using partition magic. its a waste of money. try sysresccd.org and use qtparted. its free.

4. Tranquility

Tranquility

How come? It's always worked well for me.

5. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

it costs money. y pay for partitioning. you wont be doint it alot. also i personally dont like symantec. ever since they bought out norton and powerquest both products have gone to seed.

6. Tranquility

Tranquility

Well Partition Magic still does stuff that isn't available in some other packages or even built into Windows. For example, it's the only program AFAIK that can convert a drive from NTFS to FAT32 without any data loss.

I agree with you about Symantec though. Ever since they bought Norton it's become so bloated I'm definitely switching to another AV when the one I have expires. But I still like GoBack and Norton Ghost, as well as Partition Magic.

7. Tranquility

Tranquility

Still wondering why this is under Games though.

8. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

i'm not really talkin about windows, i'm talking about linux.
    i say that programs are blooming for qtparted and partgui to convert ntfs. i know they can resize, and format. i think somthing like progsntfs can handle it i dont quite know. i don't see any reason to convert ntfs to fat tho. seems like a waste of 80 dollas for a petty task.
    there is also a captiventfs program that will give a user read/write support for those volumes.

ps there is a program called partimage and it works just like ghost if you can use a text mode program.

yah norton av is horrible.

9. Tranquility

Tranquility

Well off the top of my head one of the most important uses for converting NTFS to FAT32 is to be able to install Linux without any data loss. Writing to NTFS in Linux is still quite flaky and some distros that try to resize NTFS partitions end up preventing you from booting into Windows. With FAT32 that problem disappears.

But yeah if you're talking about the Linux environment there are free partitioning alternatives, but I haven't tried any personally and I haven't seen any Windows partitioning software as user-friendly and useful as Partition Magic.

10. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

yah but why would you convert ntfs to fat to use linux. i dont use installer partitioning tools. i partition with qtparted before i install linux and then just select what to install to. then i can install linux and it wont even worry about windows. ntfs better than fat, its just that since ms has all legal stuff for it you cant just get read/write to it, they lin developers have to make one.

11. Tranquility

Tranquility

How do you use qtparted before installing Linux? I thought it could only work without installing Linux if you were using a live-CD distro like Knoppix..

I know that Linux developers aren't to blame for lack of good NTFS support. The point is though, if your hard drive is in NTFS you will most probably run into problems when trying to install Linux if you're using the installer partitioning tool. I don't know how you use qtparted before you install Linux, maybe you could tell us about that.

Either way, I find it much more convenient to convert to FAT32 if you want to dual boot. And you can forget about resizing NTFS partitions without data loss if you have more than the one primary Windows partition. If say you have an E: partition for multimedia and an F: for downloads, a partitioning tool in the installer (like the one with SuSE 9.1) will recognize it as one large NTFS drive and partitioning it will probably prevent you from booting into Windows. With Linux, life is so much simpler with FAT32, and it isn't Linux's fault.

12. southernlady

southernlady

Well, first off, you do NOT have to use the Partition Magic by Symantec! There IS another one called 7Tools Partition Magic and it's FAR less expensive, does the same things and can be found at www.cnet.com To read more about this one, go here: http://www.7tools.de/ And I have to say, the support I've gotten from the company, even tho it's only been thru email has been far superior than what I even received from Norton. They've had to send me my user name and password three times. Liz

13. Tranquility

Tranquility

Thanks for this program tip. Didn't know about this one. Will check it out soon hopefully. Thanks again.

14. bobol

bobol

i'm ok with partition magic too....Easy setup[ though lenghty] but very user friendly. Gets my vote- commercial item yes-but its solid.
    Its gonna be funny to see the likely behemoth package that may come from symantec for 2005 that'll include system works and partition magic... it'll be like owning the green and blue properties in the monopoly game.

15. southernlady

southernlady

Actually, I did my partition before I even installed my o/s, with my maxtor utility disk. But that was on a brand new Maxtor hard drive with NOTHING on it. Liz

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!