1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to partition a new hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Woodworks, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Woodworks

Woodworks Thread Starter

Greetings, salutations, and all the kind of stuff. Hopefully someone can help me...I just purchased a new computer with windows 7 installed. So far all I have done is hooked it up and turned it on and it did it's thing for the first time. Before I go any further, I would like to partition the 1tb hard drive into several drives. I have no idea how to do this. Everyone I have contacted, is a charge support. I can't go that way. Is there anyone who knows how to do this and can help me?
    Thank you for any help with this.

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi and Welcome!
    Before you go any further,I hope you don't mind me asking if have you burned a set of restore discs or is there a system restore partition. I only ask 'cos some people rush in to things with the shiny new machine and only realise when it's too late they didn't burn those discs, or they wiped the system restore partition.

Anyway, some Windows (free) guidance:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Can-I-repartition-my-hard-disk

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Create-and-format-a-hard-disk-partition

others:
    http://www.windows7news.com/2009/09/23/how-to-create-a-partition-in-windows-7/
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

and this one: Quote "
    One of the more advanced options for resizing your Windows Vista partition is to use the GParted Live CD, a bootable linux CD that takes you straight into GParted, the great linux utility for managing partitions. The problem is that if you resize your boot/system partition, you will be completely unable to boot without repairing windows.
    First make sure that you have a bootable Windows Vista installation DVD, as you will be unable to use your computer if you don’t. Next, download the GParted Live CD and burn it to cd."
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-gparted-to-resize-your-windows-vista-partition/

Hope these help?

Richard

3. Woodworks

Woodworks Thread Starter

No I haven't burned the cd's yet. I need to make a trip to the store to get dvd's. In the meantime I'll check out the links you sent and go from there after I burn the dvd's. Thank you very much for your help so far. It is well appreciated.

4. Woodworks

Woodworks Thread Starter

Ok, I had been here already and I am confused a bit. It says it is for windows vista. Will windows 7 be the same?

5. Firebreather

Firebreather

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I strongly advise you against attempting to divide that hard drive into several partitions.

If your purpose is to save personal data, you should buy an external USB hard drive and save it there. If the hard drive in that desktop crashes and dies, you'll lose everything in all partitions.

What's the complete description of that new eMachines desktop?

Windows Vista and Windows 7 are completely different operating systems.

----------------------------------------------------

7. DVOM

DVOM

A few things that would be important to know: how many partitions do you want, what do you plan to use them for and how many partitions do you already have?

There's a limit to number of partitions that can be on a hard drive and many newer machines are already at that limit. You can only have 4 primary partitions and many machines already have 4: one for boot files, one for the OS, one for recovery and one for assorted useless stuff the manufacturer puts there to cover their hinder regions. :D

You can easily get rid of 1 or 2 or 3 of those but it's a "no turning back" kind of deal. You won't have the ability to restore your system to factory specs so you have to develop another plan for disaster. I personally "image" my OS and store one image copy on a data partition and another copy on an external drive.

Partition limits:
    You can have a max of 4 primary partitions:
    or
    3 primary and one extended (extendeds are for holding logical partitions, in an extended you can have as many logicals as you have spare letters)

Those are maximums, you can also have:
    One or two primary and one extended
    or
    just one extended.

What you need them for is important because a Windows OS + boot files needs to be on a primary partition so if you're planning on dual booting 2 Windows OSs you'll need 2 primary partitions.
    Nearly anything else can be on a logical partition. For instance a Linux OS will boot from either a primary or a logical.

8. Woodworks

Woodworks Thread Starter

flavallee: Not sure why you would say that. After all, if we were all as smart as you, we wouldn't need to come in here for help, would we? I would venture to say, with the right guidence, I can do this. To each his own opinion.

To all others that are kind enough to take the time and effort to help: I have an emaching running win 7 with service pack 1. 64 bit operating system. Anything else you need?
    As for the number of partitions. I have had three new computers in the last two weeks and none of them have had any partition. Just the C drive and one partition for the recovery files. The same with this one. The recovery partition is hidden. I would like to have three (3) partitions. I like to store my music on one, my photo's on another and my downloads on another. This has a 1tb hard drive. I see no reason why I need to have everything on the C drive. If there is anything else I need to let you folks know, please feel free to ask.. Oh, and yes, I already have an external HD. Just like all of you good folks, I like to have my computer set up my way. I like it a certian way and if I can get it there, it makes me happy. Again to everyone who has taken the time to respond, thank you so much.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's no benefit I can think of to separate your data into multiple partitions. I do have 1 separate partition for all my data, but it's not really necessary any more given how effectively Windows 7 manages data with Libraries.

10. Woodworks

Woodworks Thread Starter

DoubleHelix, I understand that, but as I posted, this is what I am used to, what I like and what I perfer. Thank you for you comment.

11. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

12. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Simplifies backup rules, if you don't want to back everything up the same way. Beyond that, I also see no possible advantage. However, to each his own and computers are supposed to be configurable to suit the individual.

13. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Why don't you create 3 folders on your desktop and name them My Music and My Photos and My Downloads(or whatever names you want)?

All your files will be consolidated in those 3 folders, and you'll have quick and easy access to them.

It'll also be quicker and easier to back them up in your external hard drive.

There's no need to create a separate partition for each of them, and you risk something going wrong in the process.

------------------------------------------------------

14. DVOM

DVOM

The reason I keep my data separate from my OS is to speed up imaging. Like I said earlier, I keep an image on a data partition and a copy on an external hard drive.

I don't ever "fix" anything anymore, if anything goes wrong with the OS I just slap the OS image back onto the OS partition. I do it probably every 2 to 3 weeks. Takes just a few minutes and I'm back up and running. It gives me the freedom to mess things up and not worry about it.

That being said, to Woodworks: I'd shrink your Win 7 partition using disk management. Then I'd use GParted to create an extended partition to contain your 3 logical partitions.

You can download a bootable GParted and the LinuxLive program to install it on USB here:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/liveusb.php

scroll down to Windows method D

Keep in mind that altering your partitions will probably make your restore partition useless so come up with another plan for disaster.

15. Woodworks

Woodworks Thread Starter

Thank you folks.
    DVOM: After going to help and support on my computer I found a way to do it. I tried and failed, but not in the way you might think. It worked just fine, but I don't understand the GB & MB and all that. I agree with you about the 3 parftitions. I just don't know how to divide them up equilly. I'd like to keep the C drive the bigger of the three. The other two I would like to be about the same size. If you would, I would appreciate if you could tell me how to divide them up. I go to computer & right click and go to mannage and then to storage then to disk management. I can follow the instructions pretty well, but as I said, I don't know how to divide 1tb into different sizes. When I tried, I came out with two more drives, or partitions, but they were only about 300Mb's. I don't know how to make them bigger, because I don't understand how to divide them. So, any help will be a big help.

Update: I went and tried to do it again just as before. I am able to do it, but this time I just used the same numbers that were already there. It worked with the exception that now it says it is unallocated space and it says that I cannot create a new volume in this unallocated space because the disk already contains the maximum numbers of partitions. I don't know what that means, so I'll accept your help once again. Thank you PS. I do see that my C drive is now down to 434 GB. PS again. Ok, so I think I have that solved. I now have a total of three seeable drives. Now my question is this...Two of the drives are 227 GB and the C drive is 434 GB. By my calculations, that doesn't add up to the total amount of disk space. So any idea's on that one?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027293

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice