1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Partition HP laptop"s HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Minhaz, Jul 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Minhaz

Minhaz Thread Starter

Hi. Do I need to use third party software for that? which one please? Thank you.

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

If you are using Windows, press [Winkey][R], type in diskmgmt.msc and press [Enter]. In the bottom window, right-click the drive you want to partion and select Shrink, Extend, whatever to the Volume.

3. Minhaz

Minhaz Thread Starter

Hi. Thanks forreplyin. I am uploading the picture. You see I have option to shrink only 75 GB but the HDD is 930 GB an dhas free space of 764 GB.

What to do?

This is HP laptop with win 10 iin it.

Do I need to use third party software and is there any free soft? and will this be safe to use or it might damage my data?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

The left partition must remain in order for Windows to boot.

The center partition is where Windows 10 and all of your data reside.

The right partition contains recovery tools put there by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer [i.e., HP]) so that if a problem occurs they could hopefully be used to restore accessibility. You could delete it and then expand C: clear over to the right end of the drive. However, you will only gain a measly 1GB of space ... which would change C: from roughly 930 GB to 931 GB.

5. Minhaz

Minhaz Thread Starter

What i was saying I have free space of 766 GB but I have option of shrinking 75 GB only. But I want to make a separate drive of 500 GB. How to do that?

Thank you.

6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Minhaz:
    Is there a particular reason why you want to partition the 930.28 GB capacity C: drive in your laptop instead of leaving it as it is?
    If you don't know for sure what you're doing and you make a critical mistake, you may wind up with a non-functioning laptop.

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Good point flavallee.

Minhaz, recommend doing a backup first with something like Macrium Reflect Free

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Personally. I think 75GB is not enough space for Windows 10 C drive.
    You'll end up regretting that you did not allow enough space.

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Minhaz, I use Minitool Partition Wizard and it can do what you want. You have to shrink the C drive from the right leaving the start of C in the same place, you can shrink by 500GB and then make a new partition in the space created. Leave the 1st and 3rd partitions as they are.

11. Minhaz

Minhaz Thread Starter

ok Thanks you all.

I have some important document that I need to separate from C drive. What if windows doesnot work anymore? Then I will loose my all data too.

12. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Make backups first but the risk is slight. Why do you want to make another partition ?

13. Scudstorm

Scudstorm

For as long as I can remember the advice has always been to keep your system partition separate from your data partition in case you need to format your system.

Is this no longer the case?

14. Minhaz

Minhaz Thread Starter

Scudstom: That is what i was trying to do.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need a backup on separate media. If your drive fails, all the partitions in the world are not going to help you. If you care about this data, you make backups.

SpywareDr likes this.
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice