1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to password wireless router without knowing my setup information?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Llemarra, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Llemarra

Llemarra Thread Starter

A friend of mine set up my new wireless router a few months ago and doesn't remember the account information he used to set it up for me. I have now moved into an apartment complex and need to password it. How can I do this without knowing the setup information? It is a netger wireless router. Thanks for any help here. I don't want have to go buy a new one to start over!:eek:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

Hi and welcome to TSG.

Are you able to log into the router or did your friend change the administration log-in password?

If you can no longer log into the router administration pages, check the router for some kind of recessed Reset switch. The user manual should tell you where it is and how to use it. You should then be able to log into it using the default user name and password. That will then allow you to configure it to work with the apartment's Internet connection and also configure the Wireless encryption method and password.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/984515