How to ping

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
Click Start/Run then type cmd and hit enter, you will see a dos box appear, in here type,
ping enter the ip or server address to ping and click enter.

As an example you can ping a server like this ping www.bigpond.com
or a machine on your network ping 10.1.1.14

The ip address for your internal network will be different to my example above.

What is it you want to ping ?

certain knoppix allows you to send custom packets of data

some ad places with a users ip address are able to make the messenger serivce display ads with out having the spyware installed on their pc

then when they click on it, they get it

it is best to disable the messenger

Shamou

Hello EvileYe,
This is a learning process. Until this morning, I had never even heard of the term "ping."
However, in TSG, I saw this guy who could give us the IP of Google... and I also found a URL where you could find out your own IP. I was impressed and I am now trying to learn more about it.
I also wanted to tell you that many years ago, I went to Palmer College of Chiropractic in Davenport Iowa USA and I made many good friends with guys from Australia. They were a 'rough and ready' crew... and real nice guys.
Thanks for taking time out to give me that info on ping. I'll have to study it a little more to fully understand, but for now thank you.
Shamou

Shamou

Hello inuyasha320,
You are so much more advanced than I in computer tech that I do not have the faintest idea as to what you are talking about. However, it is very nice of you to take the time out to try to give me that info and I do appreciate the gesture. If you could do one more thing for me I would appreciate it. Just what is a "knoppix." I tried to look it up in WEBOPEDIA but there is nutting under that word.

Here is your original message:

certain knoppix allows you to send custom packets of data

some ad places with a users ip address are able to make the messenger serivce display ads with out having the spyware installed on their pc

then when they click on it, they get it

it is best to disable the messenger

Thank you and have a good day.
Shamou

yep, if you don't have a firewall, ad companies can sometimes send messages through it.

it happened to one of my friends, he was on AOL Internet access and didnt have a firewall

ping forums.techguy.org
ping -t forums.techguy.org - this just keeps pinging over and over.
Hit Ctrl + C to stop the pinging.

Then if you want a text file of you ping or tracert add this to the line.
>C:\RESULT.TXT
Now you can go to the C: root folder and your have the RESULT.TXT file to look at.

Shamou

Thank you hewee... will try that when I have more time... You're a good man... and have a good day(y)
Shamou

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online