1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How To Place New Hard Drive As Primary?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lllAE86lll, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lllAE86lll

lllAE86lll Thread Starter

I have formatted my hard drives. I have an old hard drive which is 30gb ST340014A. And is the Primary hard drive. My new hard drive that i want to make it as primary is WDC WD5000AAKS-75A7B0 which have 500gb

I formatted both of the hard drive. And i tried to make the new hard drive to primary(ide)

I only have 1 jumper thing. I place the old hard drive jumper to the second row. Still my WDC hard drive detects as SATA.

Is there any way to change my new hard drive to primary?

A helpd would be really appreciate it.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    In your BIOS look for the boot order. There you should find the hard drive priority, set the 500GB drive as the first/main drive in the list and then it should boot from the SATA drive.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK that is a sata drive and I assume your other drive is an ide type. The only jumper on the sata should be a speed limit type jumper and would only be used if you have an old sata 1 type motherboard/controller.

Next thing you need to do is read your manual. There should be a section on boot order and hard disk priority; ie where you assign what drive is the "boot" drive.

Many boards [especially older ones] will default to an ide drive as boot so you would need to enter the bios and set the correct drive as the boot.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Rob types faster than I can :)

5. arknorth

arknorth

LOL

Another option would be to simply remove the old IDE drive, since the 500GB is obviously going to be used as the main. Since the old 30GB beastie is going into the background, it's pretty insufficient as a backup or filesaver for the 500GB.

A-N

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice