1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to plug in power button?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dashdanw, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

Basically i was in the middle of putting together a computer to whihc i had previously had no prcessor, i ordered on from ebay about a week ago and today it finally came, when i realised taht i have idea where to plug in the power button on the motherboard! (which is a stock board from another computer taht was given to me by my friend). Ive put together computers before but ive always unplugged them from the previous one, thus knowing where i need to plug everything. Ive had no luck searching for it online, i was wondering wether there is a symbol were i need to plug it in or some universal way to tell where it goes, or if u can tell me where to find a guide, i just have no idea where to put this thing, heres a picture http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b29/dashdanw/Photo546.jpg

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Welcome.

You need to look closely at the motherboard to determine that make and model, then look on Google for a manual.

The identity is often written on the board between the PCI slots, there is no way that I can tell from the photo though.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Try looking on the parallel port, I think you have a sticker there. I see it says PC100 on the one heatsink - thats usually a sign its made by PCCHIPS or one of the dozens of tiny and cheap affiliates's that get their products from the ECS/PCCHIPS empire - and they can be very hard to track down somtimes.

Most motherboards also have a legend showing where to connect things.
    The switches don't have polarity, only the LED's do.

4. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

the parallel port has a barcode number and an EA number, the EA number is 000AE61B9447 and the barcode # is D538E23901625, im prelly sure theyre all zeros not O's

5. norton850

norton850

Can't tell anything from those numbers, often (of course not always) the power button connector is in the front left corner of the MB (under the hair:) ) Do you see anything there where it might connect? In that area there may be small writing on the MB that says PWRSW or something similar.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There's a group of pins that connect the speaker, HD LED, etc., and the power pins will be two of those. They is usually a somewhat cryptic silkscreen for those connections...

If you were to take a clear picture, perhaps of sections of the board, we might be able to be more specific.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

If the board is mounted in the case look at the bottom right hand side of the board and see if you see two 10 pin headers (generally with 1 pin missing). There may be only one header if the board does not support front panel USB. If you see this or these headers you may have to look at them with a lighted magnifier. If there is only one header, either above or below it should be marked front panel. If there are two headers, one should be marked front panel and the other marked front panel USB.

If you see a header such as I have described and identified it as front panel post the information back to this thread.

Many motherboard use the Intel standard front panel pinout. If you have the header as described I will post a photo of the pinout.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

As you said in post #1, "this is a stock board from another computer that was given to me by my friend". If you can get the make and model of the computer the board came from we may be able identify the board.

9. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

im in the middle of setting up soe pictures so it might take some time

10. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

11. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

it turns out he actually gpot it directly out of box, i misunderstood

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

You had a picture (maybe 2, I couldn't tell) of 10 pin headers with one pin missing. See if one of these headers is marked front panel.

13. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

the bottom-most one near the PCI clots says PANEL2 th secodn from bottom says USB2 and the top says USB1

14. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

if its panel 2 which set should i plug it into?

15. win2kpro

win2kpro

The board you have appears to be fairly old. I just went and looked at an old board I replaced for a customer a couple of years ago that was made by some unknown maker in Taiwan and distributed by PC Chips. That particular boards front panel header used the standard Intel pinout.

I don't want to give you the wrong information, but from what you say I have to guess that the header marked Panel2 is the front panel header since the other 2 are marked USB.

I am attaching a photo diagram of an Intel standard front panel header, however I am not positive that yours would be the same. If you would like to try, you could put the board on a cardboard box, install the processor, processor cooler (don't forget to plug in the fan), one stick of RAM and a video card (unless the board has onboard video). Plug in your power supply to the motherboard, turn the power supply on and with a small flat blade screwdriver short pins 6 and 8 momentarily to see if the machine will POST.

It would be much better if we knew the make and model of the board then we could look at a diagram to be sure that the manufacturer used a standard pinout. On some of these older Taiwanese boards it is just about impossible to find the manufacturer becuase they are manufactured by different companies and marketed by other companies.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/501222

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice