1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How To Prepare Your Computer for a Restore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NYCGurl, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCGurl

NYCGurl Thread Starter

I want to do a restore on my computer and I wanted to make sure I do it right. I have a Compaq 5461 and a Quick Restore CD.
    I backed up stuff I wanted to put back later (files, email etc). The main reason for this is to restore Direct x and my drivers back to what it was before it all got screwed up. And to also obliterate the stuff I will never download again like AOL and Realplayer.
    Any tips will be appreciated.

:)

2. Annorax

Annorax

By restore, I assume you mean reformat and reinstall of the OS.

Just make sure you have everything you need, such as music, games, email, text, and especially drivers. Then, you should be fine when you do the reinstall.

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Number 1- Have unneeded peripherals disconnected, add them back after the main install. Printers, scanners, ZIP drives...anything except mouse, keyboard, monitor, modem and phone wire.

2- Disconnect network cards from any network, routers, etc you may have.

3. For anything you added after you got the system you will have to reinstall from a disk that came with the device. The Restore can only put back what originally came with the system.
    (If you have changed the modem, for instance...)
    4. Don't use fdisk- that is usually not needed with the Compaq restore, which runs from the CD.
    5. Do you have the floppy bootdisk that goes with the Restore CD? They can be downloaded for some models.
    Compaq website has the download if available for your model.
    You MAY be able to run the restore from the CD by setting the CDROM as first boot device in your BIOS- whole thing works best if you boot from the floppy disk so do that if you can.
    Good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164371

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice