how to prevent access to \\127.0.0.1\c$ or \\localhost\c$

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

curwin

For security purposes, we want to prevent our users from accessing the C drive on their computers and on the terminal servers. These users are *not* local admins on either their workstations or the servers.

We have implemented the following Group Policy settings:

- Remove Run Menu from Start Menu
- Hide these specified drives in My Computer - Restrict C drive only
-Prevent access to drives from My Computer - Restrict C drive only

This does prevent the users from accessing the C drive from Windows Explorer.

However, if they enter \\127.0.0.1\c$ or \\localhost\c$ they can access the C drive from any of these ways:

Internet Explorer / Edge

Chrome

A link in Microsoft Word

How can I prevent this? I repeat - they are not admins in any form, and yet they can access the C drive via the administrative share. (I am also not the only person reporting this problem).

I would be happy to block access to any UNC paths (as long as I can still map drives for them), or to prevent or misdirect 127.0.0.1/localhost. But nothing I have tried works, and I really need to prevent this.

Any ideas? It's most important for me to find a way to block this on Windows 10 Enterprise, but it seems to be an issue in various Workstation and Server operating systems.

Thanks,

David

Stop and disable the Server service. This will also prevent you from sharing folders of the PC.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online