1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to prevent log in box appearing at start up windows 2000 pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rubeckf, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    I have an old compaq computer with windows 2000 pro on it. Is there a way to prevent the password log on box from appearing at start up? This was an old computer that was used in a business and they all had passwords. It just comes up and says user is administrator and password is blank. If I hit enter it keeps going into windows. Thanks for any suggestions. I know how to do it in windows 98 and xp.

2. gotmikey

gotmikey

Taken from "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q310584/"

Use Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe) to Enable Automatic Logon
    WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To enable automatically logon, do the following: 1. Start Regedt32.exe, and then locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    2. Using your account name and password, double-click the DefaultUserName entry, type your user name, and then click OK.
    3. Double-click the DefaultPassword entry, type your password, and then click OK.

NOTE: If the DefaultPassword value does not exist, follow these steps:

a. Click Add Value on the Edit menu.
    b. In the Value Name box, type DefaultPassword, and then click REG_SZ for the Data Type
    c. Type your password in the String box, and then save your changes.
    Also, if no DefaultPassword string is specified, Windows automatically changes the value of the AutoAdminLogon key from 1 (true) to 0 (false), which disables the AutoAdminLogon feature.
    4. Click Add Value on the Edit menu, enter AutoAdminLogon in the Value Name box, and then click REG_SZ for the Data Type.
    5. Type 1 in the String box, and then save your changes.
    6. Quit Regedt32.
    7. Click Start, click Shutdown, and then click OK to turn off your computer.
    8. Restart your computer and Windows. You are now able to log on automatically.

3. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    I'm not sure this will work for me since I don't know what the original password was. I have always just hit enter. Maybe there's no way I can do it without the pass word. Thanks anyway!! I'll see what happens.

4. gotmikey

gotmikey

If the password is blank, and you want to set it to autologon, set the password to something like password or anything, and then setup the autologon. To do this, press ctrl-alt-del while logged in and there will be a button to change your password right there...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/386643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice