1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to prevent refresh when renaming files in Vista Windows Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lucis1, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucis1

lucis1 Thread Starter

I occasionally need to rename a number of files in Vista's Windows Explorer. Typically, these files have similar filenames with minor differences. Vista's Windows Explorer will refresh its list (and reposition the files) for every file renamed. This is very disturbing when I need to keep the files in place so I can see the results of those already renamed along with those to be renamed. When I used Win2K the files would stay in place until I clicked View>Refresh. Is there any way to prevent Vista's Windows Explorer from refreshing the list until I tell it to?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try the context menu and the "Sort By" options.

3. lucis1

lucis1 Thread Starter

I need the files in name sort order when I start so the sort order at that point is what I want. I just need to keep Explorer from rearranging them until I am done renaming the ones I want. I want it to wait until I tell it to, just like Win2000.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice