1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to price used desktop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Campdmg, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Campdmg

Campdmg Thread Starter

I am planning on selling my Sony VAIO PCVRX755 Desktop (and the monitor.) I'm trying to determine a fair price, since a friend is buying it for her father.

I don't want to "give it away", but I want to be fair to myself and to my friend. Any suggestions on how to determine a fair price for a used desktop? I've been surfing and trying to find something....ANYTHING....and have come up empty handed.

Thanks very much!

2. HalTrout

HalTrout

Please provide your computer specs.

3. randy_california

randy_california

Sony VAIO PCV-RX755 Desktop (2.0 GHz Pentium 4, 512 MB DDR RAM, 60 GB hard drive)

A couple from craigslist.org in los angeles today, just to give you an idea.
    *note, one is less and the other is more than what you have, as far as CPU (processor)

PCV-RX650 1.6 GHz Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM 80 GB HD w/ 17.1" flat panel monitor - $400
    PCV-RS420G 2.80-GHz Pentium 4, 512 RAM 120GB HD (monitor not included) - $500

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

5. randy_california

randy_california

JohnWill - true
    I know they're dreaming, but these are prices for an unknowing public.

You and I both know what the component prices are if parting out the machine or building one with the same specs with new parts.

Fry's had a back to school sale last month 3.2GHz, 512MB RAM 80GB HD - $149.99 with a free Canon Printer. Of course the Processor was a Intel Celeron D.

The last used box I bought was 2.13GHz, 512MB RAM 80GB HD for $75

Campdmg's computer does have value though with the keyboard, mouse, speakers and monitor included.

6. Campdmg

Campdmg Thread Starter

randy_california's posted specs were accurate: 2.0 GHz Pentium 4, 512 MB DDR RAM, 60 GB hard drive

...and it does have speakers, keyboard, and optical wireless mouse (purchased separate.)

I'm also "throwing in" some older software versions...Word 97, Microfsoft Office Suite, etc....since my new laptop was built with this included.

Thanks for the responses. I at least have a ballpark to start with.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

Supply and demand and the area of the Country have a great deal of bearing on what you can get for a used machine.

Offhand I would estimate the machine as described would bring $150-175.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/612331

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice