1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Print to Network Printer on XP from Vista

Discussion in 'Networking' started by techy_guy, Jun 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techy_guy

techy_guy Thread Starter

Hello All, for the last little while I been struggling to print from my Vista HP Laptop to my Printer (Brother MFC 7220). The printer is connect to my XP Desktop (Service Pack 1) and is configured to be network shared. I found this post to be helpful in almost overcoming my issues. http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/664992-print-vista-laptop-shared-printer.html

However, it was missing one detail which I figured out (and will now share with you). In addition to the steps below (from original post), I needed to change the Port of the XP Printer from a Bidirectional Port to the standart LPT1 Port. While having the printer on a Bidirectional Port the problem I faced was: the Printer Spool Queue on my Desktop Computer would show my Vista Laptop Print job as simply a "Remote Downlevel Document" which had an Error. Again, the problem was solved by changing the Printer on the Desktop from a Bidirectional one to a the standard LPT1 Port. (Go to Printers, Right Click to get Properties of your Printer, Click on the Ports tab and check LPT1 Port).

If this post was helpful to you, let me know.

(Original Steps Recopied --how to print from a Vista Laptop to a Shared Printer on XP)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What this post is missing is that you need to ensure that the port on which the XP
    1.) Verify that File and print sharing is turned on and properly configured

on the XP machine.

2.) Locate and notate the Win XP computer name (i.e. "Desktop") (Found in

System Properties in the Computer Name tab)

3.) Locate and notate the printer share name on the XP computer (i.e.

"Printer") (Found under the Sharing tab on the Printer Properties page)

4.) On the Vista machine launch the "Add a Printer" wizard

5.) Choose "Add a local printer"

6.) Select "Create a new port" radio button and choose "Local Port" from the

drop down menu

7.) Press Next

8.) In the "Enter Port Name:" box enter the following: \\Desktop\Printer

where "Desktop" = the computer name from step 2 and "Printer" = the printer

share name from step 3.

9.) Select the Printer driver from the list provided or use the "Have Disk"

button to install the correct Vista driver if it is not in the built-in list.

It is critical that the driver you use is Vista compatible.

10.) Press next

11.) Give the printer a distinct name and choose whether to set as the

default.

12.) Press Next

13.) Print a test page to verify functionality.

14.) Press Finish

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1001912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice