1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to print wirelessly from my new printer?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Pinmac, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pinmac

Pinmac Thread Starter

Hi
    I have just bought a new all-in-one printer, the Canon MP630 and need to connect it to my wireless network. I have a desktop and a laptop which both access the internet using a Netgear DG834GT with the wireless laptop and the Netgear USB adapter that came with it for the desktop. The new printer is in the same back room as the desktop but on the other side of the room. The laptop is used all over the house. The DG834GT is in the front room of the house as there is only one phone point coming in to the house. I may be getting a second printer in the future which I would also want to use wirelessly.

I need to be able to print wirelessly from both the desktop and the laptop and I think that I need a print server. I have looked online and there seems to be such a wide choice from mini ones to ones with switches(?) etc that I don't know what I am looking at.

Please can anyone help with some advice on what I need to do and a good model to buy? I am in the UK BTW. Many thanks.

Clare

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Unless there's a burning need for wireless to the printer itself, I'd use a wired connection, it'll be much easier to get working. That won't affect it's ability to print from wireless workstations. A few suggestions:

D-Link DP-301U Ethernet Print Server - USB 2.0

A better choice might be something like the Belkin Network USB Hub, which will allow you to use the multi-function capability of your printer. Most print servers will only allow you to use the printing functions.

3. Pinmac

Pinmac Thread Starter

Hi John
    Unfortunately, I think that the access to the printer has to be wireless because it has to be in a separate room from the wireless router. With my previous printer it wasn't too much of a problem as it sat next to the desktop PC and, although it meant switching the desktop on every time I could print wirelessly from the laptop. The new printer won't fit there so is across the room. Now I have to physically connect the laptop every time I want to print or lug the (heavy!) printer across to the desktop.

Does all this mean that I wouldn't be able to use the 2 you suggested? You can see that I don't understand much about this!!!

Thanks.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

5. Pinmac

Pinmac Thread Starter

That's great, thanks. I had been looking at the Netgear one but wasn't sure if it was the right thing.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice