1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to prioritise bandwidth useage on my home network.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by robinfisichella, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robinfisichella

robinfisichella Thread Starter

Heres the situation,

I have a greedy housemate who is downloading (not sure whether its bittorrent or other p2p stuff yet) or streaming a lot of online video, allmost all day and the internet speed has ground to a halt, i can barely access a webpage most of the time (not even google!).

I have access (me only) to the router,

Specs: NETGEAR 54Mbps Wireless Router WGR614 v7

What i would like to do is;

1. Prioritise my bandwidth over his
    2. Possibly block p2p services
    3. Limit his bandwidth to a rate where i can access webpages uninterupted.
    Can this be done on my router, i see options available on the management page such as;

• block sites
    • block services
    Please no suggestions such as "talk to him" or "buy a new router/service provider".

As a side question, i found out how to see what sites hes accessing but is there someway to see how much bandwidth hes using?

Thanks!

2. robinfisichella

3. robinfisichella

Ok i did some digging, apparently i need a router capable of QoS which i dont think mine has, i think the only option is too block certain ports (i dont know what this is really), used by torrents etc. Question, by using port blocking is it possible to block other things such as other download programs?

4. schang626

schang626

i think so. as long as you know the port number for each program.
    but p2p program also allows the client to change the port number.... but again.. you can block a range of ports....

5. robinfisichella

Yes i found this usefulish table online http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~rakerman/port-table.html, i think the best alternative for my retarded housemate is to block his http port once every so often since it comes up with the same message as when my internet slows to a halt!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913526