1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to read JPEG emails etc

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by annec, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. annec

annec Thread Starter

I have a web based Email. I can open but not read JPEG format Emails.
    I have a scanner which I use mainly as a photocopier. If I save files to "My documents" or "Word" they sometimes appear as JPEG and I do not know how to convert them either. I have windows XP
    I have JAVA installed. Do I need to install other hardware?
    Easy to understand instructions please!!!!
    Thanks ANNEC :)

2. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

A jpg* is an image file. All you would see is the picture.
    There is no "reading" a jpg file.

*jpg jpeg
    Both are the same extensions

3. annec

annec Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply saying JPEG is a picture but how do I convert my JPEG email attachments (web based) so I can see the pictures? Do I need to install anything on my computer.
    I have windows XP. Easy instructions please!!!
    Many thanks ANNEC :confused:

4. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

Can you save the attachment and then click on it to see the picture?

Were you able to see the pictures before and it stopped? What do
    you see? Is it a red x?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What are you using to check e-mail? Outlook? Outlook Express? Thunderbird? Or are you using a web-based interface such as Yahoo, Hotmail, or Gmail?

Are the pictures showing as attachments where you see the actual file names? Or do they show up inside the e-mail message among the text of the message?

6. shemeerali

shemeerali

I 've same type of problem. My manager cant open his jpeg attachment dircetly frm outlook express6 without saving it. It was ok since last week. I dont knw watt hpnd??Other type of attachments are opening without any problem

7. annec

annec Thread Starter

Thanks answering about my being unable to read JPEG email attachments. I have a web based Email on the Orange home page
    I use windows XP. The JPEG emails are seperate attachments which I have to open after reading the email. If I accidentally scan something in JPEG format I can't convert that either!!
    Grateful for any help!!!! ANNEC

8. annec

annec Thread Starter

My email is web based on the Orange home page. When I open the attachment all I see is the coded format. If I save it it makes no difference. Do I need any software to convert JPEG installed on my computer. I have Windows XP
    Thanks ANNEC

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What program are the JPG files opening with? It sounds like it's just not the right program. You can view them in Internet Explorer.

10. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

Do you use Internet Explorer as a browser for the internet?
    Do you see pictures on pages at the Orange website or do
    you see something else?
    Have you contacted the Orange support at all?
    Did you install software or something when this problem
    with jpegs started?

11. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Hi annec,

I think you just need to associate JPEG with a picture viewer.
    You have XP, so you already have a couple to choose from on your computer.

To do that, right click a JPEG.
    On the menu, click Open With and then Choose Program.
    In the Program list window, find and highlight "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer".
    If it's not in the list, click the Browse button and navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32.
    Find and highlight shimgvw.dll and click Open. That will place "Windows Picture an Fax Viewer" on the list.
    Place a check in the box next to "Always use this program..." and then click OK.
    When you click normally on JPEG's, they should now open with the Picture and Fax viewer.

If you have a different graphics program you would prefer, do the above only browse to that program instead of Picture and Fax.

T.:)

Should note that this is for attachments after they are downloaded to your computer.

12. annec

annec Thread Starter

Yes I use Internet Explorer of the net. On the Orange home page I get text and pictures as normal iif that is what your second question meant!! When I open JPEG attachment I just get reams of code. I have never been able to read JPEG on this computer. Do I need to install some sort of software? I have not installed anything new recently. ANNEC

13. annec

annec Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. When you refer to Windows picture and fax viewer is this something to do with my scanner or is it something that is in windows XP? Sorry to be dim!!!
    ANNEC

14. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

It's the picture viewer that comes with XP. It's already on your computer, you just need to associate JPEG with it as I said above.
    If you have any problems following the instructions, just ask and I'll post a couple screenshots so you can see what you should be doing.

T.:)

15. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

I would also make sure the web-based mail client isn't blocking the display of images as a way of blocking spam. I know SquirrelMail and Gmail can be configured to NOT display embedded images by default and you have to click a link to see them.

Peace...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/732431

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice