1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to read warning that appears and disappears too fast to read on startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Angus77, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Angus77

Angus77 Thread Starter

Whenever I boot up my VAIO (VGN-SZ750N) laptop an all-blue screen appears only momentarily, so that there's no time to read any of what is clearly a very wordy warning in white typescript that fills the whole screen. How can I stop this long enough to read it and take whatever action it recommends?

then, something happens that may be related to this . . .

soon afterward, a boxed message appears saying: "System has recovered from a serious error . . . " Clicking on this results in a huge number of figures that would challenge anybody who attempted to write them down.

2. mandraker

mandraker

Until someone else comes in with advice, here's my two-pennarth. After these 2 messages, does your laptop then boot up as normal? You don't give any details of which O/S you have - XP/Vista/Windows 7? - but, if it loads up, you could try this. Click on the Start button, select the "run" option,then, in the box which will appear, type "eventvwr" ( without the quotes) and press "ok".

You will get a new window, with options on the left. Since this problem happens on boot, click on the "system" option. The right-hand pane will now list various events in date/time order - you need to look for any with yellow warning triangles, whose time + date correspond with when you have booted up your laptop. Make a note of what is showing under the different headed columns. They probably won't mean anything to you - or to me! - but posting them here might give a wiser head a lead.
    BTW I use XP Pro - but assume there's a similar feature in Vista/Windows7?

3. Angus77

Angus77 Thread Starter

Wow, thanks to Mandraker I've checked out "eventvwr" and you're right -- they mean nothing! However, it's helpful and here are the results:

There are numerous yellow triangles. The first three seem to be the same: Type: Warning; same date(today's) and time; Source Dhcp. No category; event: 1003 User: n/a; computer: John (me).

Then there are two more at the same date at 11.25 a.m. and a further two at 10.30.

A day earlier there are a further 2 at the same time, but the source is Win32K.

There are quite a few more like this going back a few days. And ALSO red ERROR marks on the left of some entries.

Is this enough info for some sage to tell me what's going on??

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

What version of XP, Home, Pro, MCE, Tablet?

The blue flash is the Blue Screen of Death. The default is for the system to automatically restart when that happens, so it's hard to read. You'd think they would have put a delay in there...

It sounds like it's encountering an error when you power up, but gets past it when it restarts.
    You can disable the restart so you can read the message, but you then have to power off the PC to restart. If the BSOD happens every time you power up, you won't be able to boot into Windows anymore, so I would not recommend disabling that in this case.

You can try hitting the pause button to pause on that screen but it's hard to get the timing right. The useful info is at the bottom of the screen, so if you hit pause too soon, it's not displayed, too late and the screen is erased as the reboot starts.

Best to check the errors in the Event Viewer.
    If you double click the entries in Event Viewer you can see more info, and can copy and past a few here.
    Double click one of the errors. Press the Copy button [​IMG] to copy the info to the clip board, then paste the info into your reply (click in reply window, press CTRL+V)

And for the curious, to disable the automatic restart (again, NOT recommended in this case):
    Right click My Computer, click Properties
    Click the Advanced tab
    Click the Settings... button under Startup and Recovery
    Uncheck Automatically restart in the System failure section
    OK back to the Desktop.

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Can you post a few of your latest minidump files? They are located in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump. ZIP them and attach them to your next post.​

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915637

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice