How to recover a partition with important files on it

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BenFauzi

I accidentally deleted the partition on my computer when trying to upgrade to Windows XP Professional from Windows XP Home Edition. Just as the hard drive was about to be formatted I cancelled the operation before any progression. I wish to somehow get back my partition with all my files on there because a lot of those files are important to me. Is there any possible way to retrieve those files and the partition. What can I do? I really need help on this.

there is not all that many "simple" things that can be done to recover the data on that lost partition.
Someone that knew EXACTLY what he was doing could rebuild the partition information in the Master Boot Record area of the hard drive.
Or possibly some data recovery software could presumably recover data lost by partition loss. We use RStudio where I work and it seems to do a fine job of recovery, but I believe it is expensive software.

Other than those, there really aren't that many options that I can think of:(
sorry for the bad news

lukeles

Banned
BenFauzi said:
I accidentally deleted the partition on my computer when trying to upgrade to Windows XP Professional from Windows XP Home Edition. Just as the hard drive was about to be formatted I cancelled the operation before any progression. I wish to somehow get back my partition with all my files on there because a lot of those files are important to me. Is there any possible way to retrieve those files and the partition. What can I do? I really need help on this.
I suggest you use Partition Table Doctor to resolve your
problem.The software provides very useful functions:
Backup partition table, Restore partition table, Rebuild
partition table, undelete partition, Fix boot sector,
rebuild mbr,etc.

First thing I recommend you download the demo version of
Partition Table Doctor.

Run the program and select "Rebuild Partition Table",
then choose "Interactive" mode.

Partition Table Doctor recommended by lukeles is a very good program if you have it or wish to purchase it. The partition recovery program linked above has many of the same functions.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Elvandil, it would be nice if there was some description for those utilities you have the links to. Is there some documentation around for them?

JohnWill said:
Elvandil, it would be nice if there was some description for those utilities you have the links to. Is there some documentation around for them?
They are the usual that have been posted, like testdisk. But a description may be useful. There is documentation included with the files.

They create bootable floppies with programs that all search for partition tables and attempt to repair or give the user an option to choose a table that has been found to try.

Did you write them or is there a manufacturer's site with the information. Would be helpful to know for the utilities you have the links to.

lukeles

Banned
Partition Table Doctor 3.0 -- partition recovery tool.
Partition Table Doctor is the only real partition recovery software
used to recover partition for hard disk when you experience a drive error
(other than hardware failure) this versatile tool automatically
checks and repairs the Master Boot Record, partition table, and
the boot sector of the partition with an error, to recover the
FAT16/FAT32/NTFS/NTFS5/EXT2/EXT3/SWAP partitions on
IDE/ATA/SATA/SCSI hard disk drives. It can create an emergency
floppy disk or a bootable CD for partition recovery even if your
operating system fails to boot. Partition Table Doctor manager
for MS-DOS, Freedos, Windows 95/98/Me, Windows NT 4.0,
Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003.

Please see: http://www.ptdd.com/recoverylostpartition.htm
http://www.ptdd.com/recoverdeletedpartition.htm
http://www.ptdd.com/partition-recovery.htm
http://www.ptdd.com

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.