1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to recover accidently deleted OE folders

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fairlane, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fairlane

fairlane Thread Starter

New here and was following old post on how to delete emails that would not delete so would have to delete inbox folder and followed prompts succesfully until i accidently deleted the complete folder instead of opening it and selecting affected inbox folder. Unfortunatly lost the saved emails i transferred to another folder for the timebeing. Is it possible to locate the lost folder and recover files i wanted to save? thank you, regards bill.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

There are lots of utilities which might undelete these for you - I use on called Recuva from http://www.piriform.com. It's free to download and use and when you start the porogramme, you're looking for files of type .dbx.

Don't restore them to their original folders or you'll overwrite files OE may have created since for new mails. Pop them into another folder and navigate to that when trying to open them.

3. fairlane

fairlane Thread Starter

Saga lout, thanks for reply, i down loaded recovery programme and and after searching through all the files it located, i could not locate the .dbx files. is there a way to nominate search for ,dbx files in about step 3 of the search which has ticked boxs choice of search critera? or? many thanks, regards bill.

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Without running Recuva, I can't recall exactly how it works but I also use Restoration 2514 and I'm sure one of them can find specific file types. Find it http://www.win-freeware.com/REST2514.htm and see if that's any better.

5. fairlane

fairlane Thread Starter

Thank you, i,ll try that, regards bill.

6. fairlane

fairlane Thread Starter

Well, ive gone from bad to worse!. i ran the rest2514.htm and after major scanning of files located the .dbx files, but could not open them, so i took option of sending them via email to myself, but now realise they are so large that my server cannot download them as times out etc and cannot trace how to delete sending files to my inbox.

7. huggie54

huggie54

Outlook-PST-Repair-Download.com try this site mate

8. fairlane

fairlane Thread Starter

Saga lout & Huggie, got it sorted out in roundabout way, thank you all for your prompt help! regards bill.

9. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I'm pleased you've sorted it. The thread title implied Outlook Express but .pst is an Outlook file. That raises the question, is the PST file larger than 2Gb, at which point Outlook starts to struggle. When faced with that problem, I use Mozilla Thunderbird and import the PST into that because it can handle 4Gb. If you don't like the programme, just uise it to trim the historic mails down to size and exporty back to Outlook.

10. fairlane

fairlane Thread Starter

Yes, i think that was part of last problem and started to get lost in it during .dbx file transfer. I am not computer savvy, so easily confused on which prompt or search sometimes. Thank you again for your assistance. regards bill.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/893521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice