1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to recover data?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jizzmack, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jizzmack

Jizzmack Thread Starter

I have a computer that will not boot even in safe mode for some reason. I tried to repair the OS (XP Home ed.) and 75 % through it hangs up and says that the repair cannot be completed. I would just assume reformat the drive aqnd do a fresh install but there are a bunch of pictures on there I wanna get first. I am wondering if I can hook up the problematic drive to my other pc which is just fine running XP pro SP2 as a slave and be able to look through the files and copy them to me good computer to burn them on dvd so I won't run into this again. I know there has to be aprogram that allows you to examine files on a hard drive that won't boot or is currupt from a good PC and explore files so as to recover them , anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

2. Mega Tron

Mega Tron

Do you have a boot CD?

There are sites to download an ISO image and you can copy to CD.

I found this place http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

If you already have a boot CD, just put the CD in and make sure your CD drive is the primary drive to be first detected in BIOS. Then get your pictures and format System or once you are in you can try to run some virus scan ect...

If you reformat I would recommend buying another hard drive as backup and Acronis True Image or another back-up/restore program you can assign to partitions of your hard drive.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

You may be able to recover your files easily from another machine without any recovery software. It doesn't need to be bootable.

4. Jizzmack

Jizzmack Thread Starter

OK, I connected my bad hard drive to a good pc and it is there under my computer. I open it then there is one file, windows. many folders inside but most empty. Cannot find my pix and other important stuff......Arggg , where is it and why isn't it showing it? I tried using a boot disk to no avail, I am getting the error message NTLDR is missing . I read about this and found that it could be a damaged hard drive . I now just wanna reformat the drive and do a fresh install but need the data. I am downloading Knoppix now anyone used this?
    I read it is seriously easy to drag and drop from bad drive to good drive. Can anyone expound on this ?????

This is so frustrating. :mad:

5. avisitor

avisitor

Knoppix is very easy to use. The HD should show up on the desktop as hda1 or hda2 if there's a recovery partition. When you click on those, they'll mount and open. You can then copy your files to another hard drive. hdb or sda something, most likely.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Knoppix is of no use in this situation and may cause further drive corruption.

Use recovery programs first to see what you can recover. After that, try chkdsk /f on the drive. But try recovery first since chkdsk can cause more damage instead of fixing the problem in some cases (damaged partition table).

Free recovery applications:

Diskinternals Recovery Boot CD
    Smart Data Recovery
    Recover Files
    Recuva
    Restoration
    Free Undelete (NTFS only)
    Softperfect File Recovery
    ADRC Data Recovery Tools
    Undelete Plus
    Data Recovery
    PCI File Recovery
    DriveRescue
    Ultimate Data Recovery
    Disk Investigator

Commercial:

O&O Disk Recovery
    Paragon Mount Everything (Mounts any file system, CD/DVD burning, File Manager, Partitioner)
    GetDataBack (For FAT or NTFS)
    Ontrack EasyRecovery Pro
    File Scavenger
    Recover My Files
    RecoverPlus Pro
    Zero Assumption Recovery
    [email protected] File Recovery
    Final Recovery
    Recover4All Professional
    Easeus Data Recovery Wizard
    NTFS Recovery

7. avisitor

avisitor

FWIW, Knoppix will refuse to mount the drives if they're corrupted, unless you force it to. If you have another PC, use those recovery applications Elvandil recommended.

I've also had good luck with NTFS Undelete (http://ntfsundelete.com/) which is free and open source software (FOSS).

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Knoppix may also offer to try to reapir the file system, and that could lead to even more corruption than chkdsk might wreak. I would think it was a good suggestion if there were not already Windows access to the drive. NTFS-3g can't compare to native drivers.

9. Jizzmack

Jizzmack Thread Starter

Thanks Elvandil. I attached my bad hard drive as a slave in a good PC runnign the same OS and it appears as should under my computer but when I look in the drive I get a windows folder with a bunch of folders in it and st of them are empty except a few but none that contain my downloads or pictures of music or any of the personal data I wanna recover. I downloaded a program called recover my data and ran it and it showed a jpg and mp3 and content of the like but I am wondering without having to buy the program why I am not able to find the files in the hard drive as many other files are showing.

Strange to me. One other thing I tried to do a repair install and it hung up at 75 percent and would go no further, could that have caused problems with accessing my files from a good computer (with the bad drive in?) Hope this isn't to confusing.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/740057

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice