1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to recover Folder Options missing from Tools menu

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ishak, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ishak

ishak Thread Starter

H!, I want to display Hidden files from my pc that uses WinXP. However, I can't do it coz Tools/Folder Options is missing from Windows Exlorer. The Folder Options folder also is not avaialble form Control Panel.

i guess a virus may have infected the pc coz whenever I leave the pc idle on for a short time (e.g. 15min. or so ), I get alert message from my anti-virus software (McAffe) that a virus named W32/[email protected] was detected and deleted from C:\_restore{FEC9B524-0FBC-4D1A-... folderAND infected the file named A0014181.exe located in the C partition.

I want to remove this folder (_restore) manually but can't have access to it coz it's hidden. pleez help.

Ishak.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Have you tried running some virus scans in Safemode??

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You remove it by disabling System Restore, rebooting, and then re-enabling it.

4. ishak

ishak Thread Starter

Thanx DoubleHelix, I followed your instructions and managed to solve the problem.

Ishak

5. czarofaces

czarofaces

Hey dude you probably might have solved your problem regarding virus but can anybody tell me how to regain the folder option itself without restoring. Actually I am very new in tech terms, and dont know what will happen if I restore the system and exactly don know when this problem was generated so confused in date for system to restore to. That same thing (as Ishak) happened to me because of some virus , I some how got to clean that through antivirus and the remaining things I deleted from regedit, one strange thing I noticed is I cant have access to regedit as a user other than administrator, but logging in as administrator gimme access to regedit, I checked whether the user is given administrator privilege or not, but it was given that previlege by administrator already even then it is saying not permitted to access regedit.

Can anybody solve my problem.

I just wanna have that option to be there in tools options.

6. bonk

bonk Banned

Check here go Start>>Run type control userpasswords2 click OK.

7. Joanyoung

Joanyoung

8. systemshot

systemshot

I ran line 129 and said yes to the changes. I still can't access folder options off the tools menu in explorer

9. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

systemshot, Did you restart your computer after running that fix? Is Folder Options actually listed in the Tools menu in Windows Explorer? Is it listed in yiur Control Panel?

You could download the free tool called Remove Restrictions Tool (RRT) at the link below.

Make sure you boot in to Safe Mode to use Remove Restrictions Tool (RRT).

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives...regedit-and-folder-options-disabled-by-virus/

Tufenuf

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/471285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice