1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to recover Gmail password from Gmail already open?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by wesq, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wesq

wesq Thread Starter

I have been using my Gmail account for years on my PC without having to sign in (already saved) and my written down saved PW now doesn't work (on my laptop after I reset it). But if I want to access my Gmail from another computer (which I do) I cannot login.

I have a recovery AOL email address but as I had not used it for more than 90 days I had to renew it - the PW remains the same but when I get Gmail to send a PW reset code to that AOL address nothing arrives.

As that Gmail PW is somewhere on my PC how can I access it and read the characters?

Can anyone advise please?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2017
  2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Do you have another PC that can login to gmail? If so, what browser are you using on the PC? What email client?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  3. wesq

wesq Thread Starter

Thanks for responding.
    As I don't sign out of Gmail I can access my Gmails on my PC and Tablet. But as my laptop was reset, even the Win 10 was reinstalled I need to log in to that.
    Using Chrome and Google mail.

4. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
  5. wesq

wesq Thread Starter

This looked the solution but it needs a Windows password to activate the passwords!!! A new procedure I think.

I've had a WIN10, WinLive ID same old PW but it is not recognised.

Is the number of hidden PW dots accurate? My Gmail PW is showing 8 dots but I haven't had a 8 character PW for years.

I don't really remember putting in a Windows PW - when would that have been? Didn't need one upgrading from XP to Win 7 to Win 10

I can access my Gmail on my PC, Netbook and my Hudl2 Android tablet all running Chrome.

6. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
  7. wesq

wesq Thread Starter

I do have an old Belarc printout and I see the Windows Logon is the name of my computer! That is a password? It has a space between characters but I guess that's OK. Wonderful. So I'll try that tomorrow now, but thanks for that info - much appreciated.

8. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Okay great. If you still need help let me know

9. wesq

wesq Thread Starter

I saw your post concerning that nirsoft program, thanks for that, but there was no way of replying.

However I am now on my netbook and I have found that thru Google Settings, PW Management it doesn't need the windows PW for some reason to show PW characters- odd or what? The gmail PW was never saved unfortunately but in the saved ones there are 3 google.coms with the same old PW (having 8 characters) which looks good. Why it has this old PW is odd so will try it later on my problem laptop.

Having more that 2 or 3 computers is a must in this glitchy world, no?

10. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Okay sounds good. I may have set something wrong on conversation. Let me know how it works out.

11. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    It sure helps. I always recommend using a good password manager as well such as lastpass, roboform, etc

12. wesq

wesq Thread Starter

Well the computer name was not the PW.

The Netbook's revealed PW I later realised could not be a PW as I remembered it just as a User Name which it turned out to be , not a PW. Why it is called a PW in Password Management is a MS glitch obviously.
    So it appears I have tried everything now, haven't I?

Altho my PC and Netbook are both up to date OS and Windows-wise why does the Netbook allow the PW to show but not on the PC which needs a Windows PW as well?

13. wesq

wesq Thread Starter

Guess what! Checking my emails I got a message from Google saying you now can change your password for my old usual account - so (perhaps) all is well now - Google be praised!

14. wesq

wesq Thread Starter

Yes I'm into my old email but the Bookmarks bar import seems to be for MS Edge, no option for Chrome/Google

15. wesq

wesq Thread Starter

I have now found out that going into Password Management via Chrome gets to that need of a Windows password but going thru passwords.google.com this does not apply.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1199216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice