1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to recover lost files,pictures

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by decan99, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. decan99

decan99 Thread Starter

Hi, I have a Compaq Presario computer with Windows 98 and IE6 installed. If I try to install a later version of IE, my computer crashes so I've kept with IE6 which seems to have been working until now.
    This morning when I turned my computer on, it was very slow to start, then the screen froze and I couldn't turn the computer off, call up screens,etc, not only that, my computer was sounding " duh duh DUH, duh duh DUH, duh duh DUH, duh DUH...which has meant for me no way out by to go through Computer Restore which restores my computer back to factory standards. There has never been any
    problem with this, I've done it quite a few times over the last 7 years, until now. When I went through
    Computer Restore, I found that all my pictures and 72 out of the 84 icons on my Desk Top were gone. I
    went through restoring hidden icons, etc, and nothing has worked. I tried System Restore which restores my computer back to an earlier time but there was no date given that I could restore it back
    to, which is unusual. Is there any way I can restore my lost files, lost pictures, lost icons, etc. I'm not
    that computer savy, so I would really appreciate very clear instructions(if there are any). Thanks.

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

Are you sure?

I wasn't aware that System Restore was a feature of Windows 98.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Win98 does not have a system restore. System restore first made its debut in winME. If you mean restoring the os from a hidden partition, that is a completely different thing.

In any case, if you want to attempt to recover the data files, stop using the system immediately. Pull the drive out of the system and connect it to a working system as a slave drive. Now run data recovery software on the drive to see what you can recover. There are a few free versions of data recovery software; here is one.
    http://www.piriform.com/recuva

You can also just pull the drive and take it to a computer shop that does data recovery. Note the cost on this usually starts at $150 or so and goes way up from there; add the cost of whatever media you want them to recover the files to ie external drive, burn to dvd, etc.

This is just one of the many reasons why we stress backups SO much.

4. RealDMZ

RealDMZ

Try Hetman Partition Recovery http://hetmanrecovery.com/
    It can recover files from formatted and repartitioned disks, and undelete files and folders from all types of hard disks. Recovered files can be stored on another disk, burned to CD/DVD or uploaded to a remote location via FTP.
    And remember

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085020

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice