1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How To Recover My Data Off My Laptop Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Manta_Man, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Manta_Man

Manta_Man Thread Starter

Hi, I suppose you get this all the time but I have searched the internet and have only found one method of recovery.

Basically A virus has destroyed my operating system and I need a method of getting the data my laptop's hard drive. I have tried to install a new operating system using Ubuntu however once trying to install it says that there is not enough room on the hard drive which is understandable as it was pretty much full and when I installed ubuntu onto a USB stick It loaded through however I don't know how to access the original hard drive data when it loads through.

I wanted to know whether if there was an external method of taking the data off using another computer. The laptop is a Satellite A210 - 1C0.

Any Information would be great. Thanks.

2. Chris A

Chris A

3. Manta_Man

Manta_Man Thread Starter

Sorry to sound so stupid, but how exactly does it work? If I do buy one then I would want to know how it would work.

4. Chris A

Chris A

No problem. The way those work is you take your hard drive out of your laptop and insert it into the enclosure. After connecting the wires to it you then use the supplied USB cable to connect it to another computer.

The trick is to buy the enclosure that fits your existing laptop hard drive. Most if not all laptops use a 2.5 inch hard drive. The connection coming off the hard drive is the important part. IDE older connection SATA newer connection. Each of those encosures state what type of internal interface is required to connect to your hard drive. SATA is real small about a half inch IDE is a wide connector.

Page 2 on that site has some for under $20.

5. Manta_Man

Manta_Man Thread Starter

Thanks for all the information I live in Britain so I will have a look around and see if I can find one here shuldn't be hard I guess if the stores know what i'm talking about. Then if not I can get one off that site I assume the laptops are universal anyway so all I need it to make sure I get the right size.

6. Chris A

Chris A

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    An adapter like This .. Will be able to read just about any Hard Drive.

When you tried to install a new system .. Did you Write to the Corrupted Drive ... Or format it ??
    This may have wiped the info off the drive.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    There might be another way .. Assuming you're here from a working computer ..
    and you have an external Hard Drive with a lot of empty space.

You might be able to Image the HDD to a file in the external ..
    Then read the "Image" from the working computer.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice