1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to recover my files? Disk is not formatted.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marcos77, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marcos77

marcos77 Thread Starter

Hi. I have a Dell Optiplex 320. I have two internal hard drives. Drive C and Drive D. I formatted drive C and reinstalled Windows XP Pro because my computer was having issues. Before I formatted I moved all of my important work files on drive D. I figured after I formatted I would be able to move those files and access them but when I click on Drive D it says, "The disk drive D is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?". How did this happen? I really need these files for work. I never did anything to change drive D and it was formatted before.

What should I do to recover those files?

2. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

DId you perhaps format drive D by mistake? If so, and you did a quick format, the data might be recoverable. If you did a full format, the data is gone.

You might try testdisk

3. marcos77

marcos77 Thread Starter

I made sure not to format it. I only formatted drive C. I will try Testdisk. Thank you for the reply

4. marcos77

marcos77 Thread Starter

I downloaded Testdisk for Windows but it didn't work for me. :(

Here are the steps that I did with Testdisk.

A. At the first window select &#8220;No Log&#8221; and press the <Enter> key.
    B. Select what drive to analyse, choose &#8220;Proceed&#8221; and <Enter>.
    C. Select partition type &#8211; Intel if it&#8217;s a PC.
    D. Select &#8220;Analyse&#8221; then <Enter>. The drive/partition will be analysed.
    E. Select &#8220;Proceed&#8221; at the next screen, then <Enter>.
    F. Press &#8220;Y&#8221; if the partitions were created under Vista &#8211; &#8220;N&#8221; if not.
    G. TestDisk should say &#8220;Structure OK&#8221;. Choose the drive/partition to fix. Then press <Enter>.
    H. Select &#8220;Write&#8221; and press <Enter>.
    I. Press &#8220;Y&#8221;.
    J. Press <Enter> and close TestDisk. Reboot the computer.

Did I do something wrong? What should I try next....

5. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

6. marcos77

marcos77 Thread Starter

I followed the steps in the above link. It shows the following:

- Current Partition Structure
    - 1 P HPFS - NTFS
    - No Partition is bootable

Next I click on 'Quick Search'. I select 'N' because I'm using XP. Hit Enter. During the Quick Search, TestDisk has found one partition. Next I Highlight this partition and press p to list my files (to go back to the previous display, press q to Quit).
    All directories and data are correctly listed. I can see all of my files on there!!

But now I don't know what option to choose? Do I need to select all of the files or just press q to go back? Only the top file is selected.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Run TestDisk again and do Proceed, Intel, Analyse, Quick Search, Enter, select Write and type Y to confirm, restart the PC and the files should show up in Windows now.

8. marcos77

marcos77 Thread Starter

it didn't work. When I click on Local Disk D: It still says, The Disk drive D is not formated. Do I want to format. y or n

9. marcos77

marcos77 Thread Starter

I got it!!!!! I love you!!! ok This is what I did. Proceed, Intel, Analyse, Quick Search, N, P to list files, a to select all files and c to copy, Then I just selected the directory. I got everything back!!! I'm so happy.

10. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Glad it worked out. Now you need to institute and maintain a backup program, because it isn't a matter of if your hard drive will fail, it is a matter of when. And you won't always be able to recover using software.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1023336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice