1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to recover photos lost on computer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by vlek, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vlek

vlek Thread Starter

I am staying in Hanoi Vietnam and downloaded photos onto a computer at the hotel I'm staying in. The photos did go on the computer, so I erased them from my camera and then I was about to copy them onto a USB stick when I accidentally kicked the power cord and the computer shut down. When I started it again, the photos were gone. I downloaded some more photos to the computer and disconnected power and started it again and the same thing happened.

I am assuming it is in some mode that the hotel has set up so it will not store anything that guests download. Is there a way I can recover the photos. I am assuming it must be done thru administrator or something, the only problem is the hotel owners don't speak English so I have no idea how to explain this to them to get the administrator password.

Please anyone help me?

2. antimoth

antimoth

Put that memory card away and don't use it in the camera. Put in another one. The deleted images on the first card can be recovered as long as you don't write to the card.

Some time in the future, when you get a chance to use a PC that gives you full access, you can download a recovery program, install it on that PC. and use it to recover photos from the card that you erased/deleted. I would suggest this free one.
    http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Now if you can get the above installed on the hotel PC, it would work also.

3. DeannFord

DeannFord

Hi,

There are numerous scenarios like Accidental deletion of the photos, deletion of the drive or partitions, formatting of the SD cards, formatting of the drive or partitions, shut down of the system while transferring photos from digital camera to PC or laptop where you ca n loss the images but no need to worry you can recover photos in fraction of seconds with the Image recovery.

But make sure when there is any loss of data in the storage devices, don’t save any data on to it which might lead to permanent data loss.

4. 3magic

3magic

Hi,thanks for sharing the information here.Really a good information is presented here.I was not aware of it before.

5. angelinablare

angelinablare

Hi,

Don't worry you can recover lost photos by using any good picture recovery application. it helps you to recover Accidental deleted of the photos, deletion of the drive or partitions, formatting of the SD cards, formatting of the drive or partitions, shut down of the system while transferring photos from digital camera to PC or laptop etc. you can also still check the capability of the software by downloading the demo version the software.

6. DerekC

DerekC

Got to agree with everyone here. Don't bother with trying to restore the pics on the hotel computer. Most public computers will have a "Deep Freeze" or "Save State" program on them, so you will not be able to install or save anything to them. Focus your attention on recovering the pics on the card.

7. annieee

annieee

As a value add to the earlier replies, here is the reason why we should not use the memory card after data loss- each mem card is formatted with a file system.when u write a photo to it,the card marks an index to the file and keeps the data away. after file deletion, the index gets deleted while the space occupied by the file gets available for other data to write.

8. tompatrick

tompatrick Banned

I would like to know which OS are they using If in case it is Windows, Or Mac then in which Language is it. I think you need to go to the system admin department of the hotel and demonstrate it to them on the system then you won't need to utter a single word. If in case the OS is not in the English language then you case you need to take help of the Google translator and translate what you want to say to their language, write it on a paper and show it to them. If this helps then it's fine else you need to take help of the Photo Recovery Software according to the OS used.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972704

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice