How to reduce working / viewing area in Paint window?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

marie500

My working/viewing window in Paint program was somehow made enormous. It's completely white and goes down maybe 2' and spreads across the right side about the same.

I can't get it back to normal. "Normal" for me is - the screen opens, mostly gray, and the working box is about the size of a a business card. Presently the white area goes down over 2'! Also goes way out on the right side. I've tried scrolling down to drag the little black dots on the edge to draw the screen up and in. I see a dotted line moving up the page but when I release the mouse nothing shrinks.

This has happened before but I've been able to drag the white screen back to normal. What can I do this time.

marie500

Thank you - - success!
It actually was already on Normal view. I changed it to Large Size, then changed it right back. When I dragged the bottom up after doing that, it worked. Thanks a bunch!

You can actually set the exact size you want for the working area (white). Click
Image->Attributes. I prefer using pixels, but you can do it with inches or cm as well.

sekirt

marie500

That's really helpful to me! I often want to make the working area the same size as what it will be printed on. Eyeballing never works. Nor has holding rulers up to the box to measure the white space - that gives the onscreen size. Thanks for this!

Just open Paint up and your see the white box. Grab a corner and drag it to a small 1" x 1". Now paste your image into it and it will fit just right.
Paint seems to use whatever the last size the image was the last time you saved any image as the default the next time you open paint so just resize it again real small and paste your image into it.

marie500

That's what is wasn't letting me do. Sometimes with the oversized white boxes I need to keep reducing the portion I can see on the screen - scroll repeatedly and reduce a section at a time, but it wasn't letting me do that. I couldn't even select the picture and copy into a new Paint screen because the new Paint screen box was opening in the enormous size.

OK how about just uninstalling MS Paint then.
Go to add/remove, windows setup tab and find MS Paint and uncheck it and ok your way out.
Reboot and go back and check it. Your need the windows CD if you don't have the cab files on your hard drive.

marie500

It did snap back after using Scorp's setting, (see above) plus some additional fiddling on my part, so it's not a goner at this time. I kept answering to describe what the problem originally was, didn't mean to imply it wasn't solved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online