Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to reformat from win2000

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Jtoast 
#1 ·
I had WinMe, endup with double boot when I try to install Win2000 to replace WinMe, then I converted fat16 to fat32, now I can't even boot WinMe, further more as a result some drivers were not install (display amoung others) the whole screen is not been usetilized.
I'd like to do a CLEAN INSTALL, everytime I try to run format or fdisk from dos won't let me.
I have a copy of partition magic, some how I can get it to work.
Any help I will appreciate!
Jose

#4 ·
If you are trying to do a clean install of win2k, just boot from the win2k cd. To do this enter your bios and set cd as first boot device; restart the computer with the win2k cd in the cd drive. Setup will start and let you delete / create partitions and format with your choice of file system i.e. FAT32 or NTFS. Even though win2k will use FAT16, I would use either FAT32 or NTFS.
If you are trying to reinstall ME, then you can boot with a winme boot disk; create / delete partitions from fdisk and then format your drive. As I recall the me cd is bootable as well.
For wiw win2k is a far superior os than winme; much more stable than me and manages memory a lot better. You never get the “low memory” msg.
With either os you will probably have to reinstall some drivers, that is why your video looks funny. It is using windows generic driver.

#5 ·
Thank you Folks for answering my call.
Sorry, I do not have my CDs with me here in the library, where I come to access the web.
I dummy, try to run fdisk/format c: from drive c: (out course I should have try from drive a:).
To crjdriver: I knew and I did every thing you said, I install a second time Win2K, still no luck in getting riddle of WinMe stuff.
thanks anyway.
Once, I get home I will try install Win2K, this time from drive A:, tomorrow I will reporting findings.
Jose

#6 ·
Here you have message I got EVEN when Fdisk/format is run from drive A:\>

Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
Format may run if this volumje is dismounted first.
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID
Would you like to force dismount on this volume? (y/n) [type y]

Can not lock the drive. The volume is still in use

Have you seen it?
Jose

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.