1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to reinstall Windows XP Pro to Ububtu dual-boot machine?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Colt, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colt

Colt Thread Starter

Last year I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my Dell Dimension 5000 running Windows XP Pro, giving me a trouble-free dual boot system until recently.

Recently though, I've had problems with Windows being excruciatingly slow, some crashes, unexplained error messages etc - probably partly due to a load of unnecessary and now unwanted programs I've installed along the way. I would now like to start afresh with a clean reinstall of Windows - but am worried about possible complications with my Ubuntu installation and some horror stories I've heard about messing with the Master Boot Record. I do not wish to remove Ubuntu, and have had no problems with it.

Can I simply format my C drive and just install Windows again? Or am I rushing in where angels fear to tread? I have my Win XP Pro disk. I've reinstalled Windows in the past, but that was before I had installed Ubuntu.

I'd really appreciate some advice and a step by step guide on how I should proceed - thanks!

Dell Dimension 5000 3.0 Ghz
    3 Gb RAM
    Windows XP Pro v 2002 SP3

2. huggie54

huggie54

Hiya,pretty sure xp needs to be installed first.....could be wrong!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/938218

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice