1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Reinstall XP from the Safe Mode Screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by djorns, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djorns

djorns Thread Starter

I recently had lightning hit my modem and damaged my motherboard on a DELL2350, it also damaged another computer's (DELL400C) network card. I decided to take the two computers and make one good one. These are the steps:

DELL400C replaced the network card and added more memory. Took the DELL2350 HD and made it the master and the DELL400C HD made it the slave. When the DELL400C was booted it went to the screen where you can choose Safe Mode, Last good configuration, Normal, etc. No matter which one I chose nothing happened. The screen just stayed there and then the up/down arrows would not work...nothing on the keyboard worked. I had to hit the power button.

I then switched the HDs made the DELL400C the master and the DELL2350 the slave and the pc booted up. My problem is that I have more programs installed on the 2350 HD then on the 400C HD. I get errors when I select one of the applications and tells me it is not properly installed....because it is looking for the DLL and other system files for the particular application on the 400C HD C: drive.

My question is can I install XP from the Safe Mode screen? Can I create a startup disk and then try to insert the Windows XP CD in the CDROM drive and install it from the start up disk? Any suggestions because I would really like to have the 2350 HD as the primary drive.

Thanks
    djorns

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!