1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to remove a correctly spelled word from Word 2003 regular dictionary

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Feather_dust, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Feather_dust

Feather_dust Thread Starter

We are using Microsoft Word 2003. When running a spell check the word pubic is not flagged as being misspelled (I know it's not misspelled).

However we would like to flag it as misspelled as too many people are leaving the letter L out of the word Public and not catching it before they send out documents.

I know how to edit the Custom.dic but how do I edit the built in dictionary.

Thanks

2. letchworth

letchworth

I am assuming that pubic is not a word you would use in correspondence- in which case you could use "AutoCorrect" to correct.

Tools> Autocorrect--- then give the word you don't want used and the substitute word you do want used.

If there is a time you need to use that word, you can turn off AutoCorrect when the document is finished and manually make the correction before sending it out.

I have an old version of Word (2000), so I am presuming that MS has not chaned the name of this feature.

letchworth

3. Feather_dust

Feather_dust Thread Starter

We don't use autocorrect, but I did find, after numerous google searches, that Office does have an exclude dictionary that you can create. It is located in the same place as the custom.dic and file should be called mssp3en.exc.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/768508