Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to remove all user names?

834 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  PeterOz 
#1 ·
Recently I bought used notebooks, via UAC I changed the names. Nevertheless there are numerous places, where the names of the previous owners are still present. How to remove/change those names? Reinstalling the OS I would like to avoid!
Any advice is appreciated!

#5 ·
To get Win10 is probably no problem, getting Win7 Pro, I am not sure, considering the search results some time ago. Any idea where to get it? The time for reinstalling the OS is not the problem, I put already time and effort for adjusting the OS an installing software. Am I correct to assume to reinstall all drivers and software HP and Lenovo installed for the proper function of the notebooks?

#7 ·
HP Elitebook 8560w and Thinkpad 530w. Drivers and software on the HP are backupped, so no search for those. It seems, the preowner reinstalled Win7 before selling off. Otherwise, why are the drivers in the download folder? On the HP site is a lot of software and drivers for this model, but I am very cautious to install them. BIOS and Intel ME updates...ok, never change a running team! Last year, for the first time, I had to reinstall Win7 on our PC, after 7 years! Not very difficult, having an installation DVD&DriverDVD for the graphics card. Making a system repair DVD and system backup went nuts, no clues why. I have very little experience in installing Win. Linux I installed way more. Making a system backup of Win10, Thinkpad, did not work, too. At least a system repair disk was completed. Will try a NTFS external HDD. HDD is encrypted, even if I can backup the system there, probably useless, how to open the HDD to repair the OS? Decrypting the HDD would take quite a time.

#10 ·
HP Elitebook 8560w
Try This.
f11 recovery tools: You can use the image includes the Windows operating system and software programs installed at the factory.This will delete all data. Or you can order a recovery disk from HP.

Thinkpad 530w
This model also uses F11 to recover the system back to Factory. This will delete all data
or you can order recovery media from Lenovo Recovery Media

Cheers
Peteroz

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
" considering the search results some time ago. Any idea where to get it? "

What search results are you talking about ? If you are talking about any search that the previous user issued, they are scattered across the registry, mostly named "MRU" (most recently used) keys. Many places have MRU keys.

"Am I correct to assume to reinstall all drivers and software HP and Lenovo installed for the proper function of the notebooks? "

I have had brand new and refurbished HP notebooks where not everything on their download site was installed. Did not impact basic functionality. I would say install all their software for FULL functionality, whether the user will ever touch it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.