1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to remove AV popups

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Zygmo, May 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zygmo

Zygmo Thread Starter

I have setup an older Dell laptop with WinXP SP3 to run a small stereo system through it's headphone output. It has now been disconnected permanently from the internet, so no updating, antivirus or browsers will be needed again.
    After the initial setup I turned Automatic updates off, but how can I get rid of the popup warning on the screen about that every time the computer is started? I would switch to Linux, but I use DCArt Forensics for digitally cleaning and enhancing old vinyl records, which does not work in Linux.
    And do you see any problem with the laptop running on the power cord all the time?

Thanks.
    Dean

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Go into the "Services" list, then scroll down to the Security Center-related entries, then change their startup type to Disabled, then restart the computer.
    See if that helps.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    when I did that 4-5 years ago, I used Revo Uninstaller portable (on a USB stick) and I uninstalled all the security programs (av and malwarebytes) that were installed on the computer.

4. Zygmo

Zygmo Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. I will try your suggestions.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You can use the laptop with the power cord as much as you like, I do that all the time myself, but if the battery still holds useful charge I would remove it because leaving it connected will make it deteriorate more quickly.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If those AV warnings are coming from XP itself do Start > Run > type WSCUI.CPL then press Enter
    In the new window click on 'Change the way Security Centre alerts me' on the left then in new window untick 'Virus Protection' box > Ok and those pop-ups should stop.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!