1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to remove icon from control panel

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by tuffguy, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tuffguy

tuffguy Thread Starter

I recently removed a G-force 4 video card and replaced it with an ATI radeon. I removed the old drivers and software but the Nvidia desktop mngr. icon remains in control panel. Can anyone tell me how to remove it? I'm using WME.
    Thanks.

2. Deke40

Deke40

All Control Panel icons are files with a *.cpl extension, situated in your Windows\System folder.

So go to Start/Find, and type *.cpl in the 'named' box.

One of the files coming up will be the one you'd like to get rid of.

If you think you've found the one, first rename it to *.old, go to Control Panel, and press F5 to refresh.

If it disappears, you've got yourself the right one, and you may delete it.

3. tuffguy

tuffguy Thread Starter

I tried that but couldn't rename as you suggested. I used add\remove programs to remove the nvidia software, but there is still a ton of nvidia files and folders left in my system. Any recommendations?
    Thanks again.

4. Deke40

Deke40

There are probably programs to do this. I manually remove what is leftover. I takes awhile but you can usually track everthing down. Use find files and then go to Regedit and do a search there.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    TuffGuy:

1. Click Start - Find - Files And Folders, type in NVIDIA, bring up the list of files, then delete them.
    (Note: If you have a question about any particular file, right-click it, then click Properties. The General and Version tabs should provide you with enough information to confirm whether the file is associated with Nvidia)

2. Click Start - Run, type in REGEDIT, then click OK. Click the + in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Software

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - Software

If a NVIDIA folder key is present in either Software sub-menu, right-click it, then click Delete - Yes.

The Xteq Setup 6.3 tweaking utility can be used for removing any listing in the Control Panel that you do not want to appear.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips :)

6. Deke40

Deke40

To add to Flavallee's post . After you following his instructions click the "Edit" on regedit toolbar and click "Find". Type in NVIDIA and click "Find Next" delete any NVIDIA content and then click F3 and keep going until you get a small popup that you have completed the search of the registry.

7. tuffguy

tuffguy Thread Starter

I have removed all the nvidia files manually. It wasn't as bad as I thought. The icon is gone and I want to thank you all very much.
    I found mostly help files left over from the uninstall, however there were a couple core driver files left. What is the general rule of thumb when installing\uninstalling software besides disabling antivirus?
    Are situations like this preventable?

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    TuffGuy:

The best thing to do is to "end task" and close everything, except Explorer and Systray, before you install or uninstall anything. This pretty much prevents anything from interfering with the process. Use the same procedure before running Scandisk and Disk Defragmenter, and of course, turn off the screensaver, if one is running.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips:)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118283

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice