1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to remove MS updates that do not install?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by DCM1519, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

My system tray contains a small shield that represents pending updates that apparently have been downloaded but not installed. Over the last few weeks, numerous attempts to install these have always failed.

Now, I want to remove them and try again but not automatically this time.

Is there a way to remove MS updates that do not install successfully?

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If you know the update numbers (eg: KB929969) you can try to delete them with Add & Remove Programs (check the "Show updates" box at the top of Add & Remove Programs). That is assuming they got installed far enough to show up there.

Alternatively you can uninstall them my finding the Uninstall folder (eg: C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB929969$\spuninst) and run the spuninst.exe file within it. If the uninstaller doesn't find anything to uninstall, just delete the folder (eg: C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB929969$).

3. golferbob

golferbob

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

This does exactly what Add/Remove does, does it not??

dmullen
    From the sounds of it, the updates have not actually been installed. Just downloaded and failed.

If you connect to the Windows update site you can view the downloaded patches and then re-download them.

5. ferrija1

ferrija1

You can also hide/ignore updates at the update site, though I don't know if that would help.

I once let the box come up (when it was nagging me about an update that wouldn't install) unchecked the update and then clicked next. I believe it then asked me if I wanted it to keep telling me I don't have that update and I click no.

You could always turn off automatic updates, but then you'll want to check the update site a lot more.....

6. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. So far, no luck. Cannot find the three updates that are pending and redownloading them just resulted in errors in trying to install them. I may run SFC /Scannow tomorrow in the hopes that something is missing in Windows and causing this problem.

7. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

I have found that automatic updating is "for the birds!" It interferes with normal use of the Internet and you have no idea what is being downloaded. I simply do a manual check for pending updates on a regular, personally established schedule. I am disciplined to do this just as I am for running necessary application updates.

{redoak}

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice