1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to remove new ad border?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Linpin, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Linpin

Linpin Thread Starter

I recently purchased a computer and when I connected it, there was a border around the desktop screen composed of advertising. I have tried to remove the border but have been unsuccessful. They are really annoying. Also, on startup, a box appears in the middle of the screen that I am also unable to remove.

Thanks for your help!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please give more details, like is this a new computer? Does the ad display appear all the time, even when you're not on-line? Have you spoken to the seller? What O/S do you run?

Sounds like you need to post a HijackThis listing so we can see what is infesting the system.

3. Miz

Miz

If it's an eMachine, you have to uninstall that stuff from Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. I think it's called "eWare" or something similar.

4. RSM123

RSM123

If you look here :

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

Scroll down to 'E' - There is a listing for eWare. Apparently its in your Startup and may be called iwarestart.exe.

If you go Start > Run type MSCONFIG and click the Startup tab - you can check for the listing. Uncheck the box and restart to complete.

Once the pc boots to Win - do as the previous poster suggests and check for references in Add / Remove Programs.

Depending on how much of an issue this is with you - and if they have insinuated their company name into your Int. Explorer by something like 'IE brought to you by (their name)' - see this link for removing this also :

http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/best_of/ispbrnds.htm

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Of course, it would help if we actually knew something about the system. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice