Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to remove old Backup files from the internal drive?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Norton_Support 
#1 ·
I am now doing my Norton 360 Backup to an external hard drive in order to save space on the internal hard drive.

However I am having a problem deleting the old backup files on the internal hard drive. If I try to delete these files 'manually' the whole process is unnervingly slow and it looks like it could takes many hours to complete.

What is the best thing to do here?

#3 ·
A backup can require a huge amount of drive space. Part of the problem is deleted files. You can open up space on your internal drive by deleting files, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they will get deleted from the backup. There is a good backup program does versioning, saving old copies of altered files, named EaseUS Todo Backup Free—a program I recommend.

#6 ·
If these "Backups" are part of a sequential backup, then all of then will be needed to do a complete restore of the system.

Is there a way to delete old backups from within Norton Security?

Try doing a Google on "Norton security delete old backups" without the quotes.

#7 ·
On Norton's own website on the subject, "Deleting a backup set", a list of instructions is given for removing an old backup set.

I remember now, this is one of the first things I tried and it doesn't work.

Firstly under Summary only the current backup is listed which is the one I use on the external drive and obviously I don't want to delete this. If I change the default drive back to C:/ (where the old one is) and attempt to delete this, I get the response that I cannot delete this backup as this in the only backup I have.

Norton 360 doesn't seem to be able to detect that I have two separate backup sets.

#11 ·
The problem may be more complicated than I had originally thought. It seems that most of the backed-up files are still on the C:/ drive but only the newly backed-up files are on the External Drive, so the old back-up set is actually divided between two different drives.

Because of this I may have to do a completely new and full back-up of all my files to the External Drive and then delete the old back-up set, part of which is still on the C:/ drive.

Is this possible using Norton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.