1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Remove "Read Only" in Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by cwilmot, Jan 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

I have an Excel folder that I add to each day. Something happened to cause it to become "Read Only" and I am unable to add to it or edit it now.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Where is the folder sitting? Is it on a local drive or a network drive? Right click on the folder and select properties, the folders attributes should not have anything checked. Are you sure it's not the file itself who's attributes have been changed to read only?

3. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

Rockn, Yes, it's the folder itself. In fact, it's Book 3 in a 4 book folder. cwilmot

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

cwilmot:

Your statement doesn't make sense.

What do you mean by Book 3? Is it a workbook?

What is the name of the folder in which it resides?

If the folder is read-only then all 4 books should be read-only.

5. DjDennis

DjDennis

Sounds like that Excell Crashed on someone and when they tried to reopen it it would only open as read only - which can happen with access and even word and any MS crp product

what you will have to do is this (of which its happened to me at times)

Close the program down open it again close it 2x or 3x times with that file

then do a Quick reboot then find the file - now it will tell you when you do a Properties on it it will say READ ONLY

so now just make the file or turn all the ticks OFF so that way you can use it again

works for me - if anyone can find a faster way let me know as thats what I have done when at anytime any of the MS stuff crash on me

have a great day all

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/110997