1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to remove SP3 manually

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by alexenjen, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alexenjen

alexenjen Thread Starter

I'm not able to remove SP3 form Add\Remove. How do Iremove it manually? Is there a utility I can use or what file to delete?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you didn't save the backup files when you installed it, (that's why it's not in add/remove), you can't remove it.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The only thing you can do is boot with the win2k cd and do a repair installation. This will preserve your data and settings. After you have completed the repair installation you can then apply sp2 or whatever sp you want.
    There is no way to remove sp3 if you did not elect to save the old system files when you installed the sp.
    I am curious why do you want to get rid of sp3? I have been running it since it was available and have never had a lockup, crash or anything.

4. alexenjen

alexenjen Thread Starter

SP3 is in ADD/Remove, when I try to uninstall it, it fails. I tried to do it in SAFEMODE, failed also.

Why do I want to uninstall SP3? I have imaging apps that fails when I try to print thru a fax. Plus a major app that my company uses is also affected.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!